Ultimate Subaru Message Board

At What Point Should I Junk This Thing?

So, for the past few years I've been running an '84 Subaru GL that's had it's share of problems, most of which have been fixed - I've also put a ton of miles on it (60,000 plus) in that timeframe, and moved it out to the east coast, where rust subsequently ate the exhaust system - last weekend on a trip to NYC the muffler fell off, and I've gotten it to a shop where they say every bit of the exhaust system needs to be replaced. None of this is anything I have the time or space to work on myself, and apparently the shop is having no luck finding parts. And all of the wheel bearings need to be replaced. 

Given that it's thirty plus years old, needs an overhaul of the exhaust, front wheel bearings, and is starting to suffer from rust issues with lower bits of body panel as well, it it time to junk this thing/part it out? Curious for a second or third opinion. 

These things are one of a kind gems. You wont easily find another one. To buy a new similar unit will run you $30k+. Heck even a decent modern used car will run you over $10k. Cheapo exhausts can be found online for well under 200 shipped. They vary a bit depending on which emissions system you have. Bearings are affordable and an annoying project, but totally doable.

Before scrapping you need to put this car in the classified section on this board. About 3-8 months after getting rid of it you will reget it. I miss all of my "babies" Ive had to let go.

In my eyes exhaust, bearings and some undercoating is nothing... keep the car.

• Like 3

I've had custom stainless exhaust made for both my hatch and my wagon. Pricey initially, but you'll never have to worry about the exhaust again. (When I say pricey, only slightly more expensive than the "50 state" option referenced above.) If that shop can't or won't make something for you, carry it somewhere that will. 

Bearings are easy, and rust is only terminal if it's on the subframe (unless you know a really good welder.) 

At any rate, don't junk it. There are enough of us on the east coast that need and want parts and would gladly take it off your hands. 

Dan

Rust is the decider. Exhaust and wheel bearings are easy enough if you just pay the prices.

Being you are now on the east coast you have a rare and interesting vehicle. Have fun with it that way. I take my well used and rough looking 1978 4wd wagon around and people love it. It's even gone into shows as requested by the folks running the shows when I visit as a spectator.

Some bubbles of rust can be fixed but you want to get it solid and shedding water. It doesn't need to be perfect but must shed water from the places that rust.

It's up to your heart. And that's often the problem. Lol

Brains say move on IF and only IF it's too much expense to remedy it.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. It's definitely extremely unlikely I actually junk it, as that would just be incredibly depressing. Selling it to someone more able to invest time in it is more of a possibility. 

It's tricky, because this thing's taken me across the country six times in the past two years, I've slept a ton of nights in the back with the seats down. I've learned more about this car than any other I'd ever owned by a mile. I love this thing. 

It's more the unpleasant financial back and forth - how much will this cost, and then the next thing cost, etc etc etc. 

Rust is definitely a big decider, and I'm genuinely not sure how bad it is at this point. Rust was no issue at all when we got it, but it's been two years on the east coast. 

You definitely must be from the west coast, you must learn to embrace the east coast rust.  I love peppering the highways with little flakes of my subaru, and when the muffler rots off I just keep driving.  Be loud, be proud!

• Like 1

You definitely must be from the west coast, you must learn to embrace the east coast rust.  I love peppering the highways with little flakes of my subaru, and when the muffler rots off I just keep driving.  Be loud, be proud!

When I said I fixed mine a 3 inch straight pipe replaced the muffler :)

Pipe... luxury... whe the pipes on my old 84 gl wagon both broke off the motor i just kept driving... for a year... that is untill i got a ticket and had to put new pipes on, now you wanna talk about loud holy sheepshit i could be heard 5 miles away, the only times i felt bad about it being louder than mighty zeus was when id start it in the morning and the craptachi would stick wide open and had to quickly shut it down and start it again.

I am still looking for this movie/documentary you were making -Did I miss something??? :huh:

It's actually almost done! I know it's been a long process, we had a small team and it's feature length, but we're actually nearing completion! I'll definitely post about it here, because the car is pretty much the bona-fide star. I'm really excited about it. 

• 9 months later...