Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 subaru gl hatchback suspension options

I just purchased my very first subaru less than a week ago. It's an 85 gl hatchback 4wd with the ea81 and 4 speed mt. I bought this car because my volkswagen is far to low for a Minnesota winter and I love Japanese cars and subarusee alike, and had never seen a subaru like this since that day when I opened up craigslist. Long story short I fell in love with it when I went and test drove it and I knew with the price tag of 1400 it was either buy it was sure to be someone else's. Anyways, Next summer I was hoping to make her a little less stock. I've been reading a lot on the engine and have a pretty good idea on what I want to do there. But I've been having some trouble finding almost anything on the hatchbacks suspension. I've heard of other people using miata coil sleeves in there old subi's but my shocks look like they mount up differently it being a torsion system in the rear and all. I guess my question is, are there any aftermarket, upgraded, or performance alternatives to my stock suspensionumber? Also any information on the trans. and drive train such as what commonly goes wrong and how they handle extra power would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat as far as front struts for my 83 Hatchback, even looking into a 2 inch lift. This is all new to me for I have never owned a 4x4 before and am learning about suspension and such. I did find a skid plate at the salvage yard today from a 85 Forester. I wish that they made adjustable coilovers to fit this car. I doubt very much that I will do anything to the coils because I do not know enough to tackle that so I will search for decent struts and search this board for further info on struts and 2 inch lift pro;s and cons. Good luck with yours and I will keep an eye on it for info.