Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cheers from NC! Forester First-timer and Battle of the Mechanics - Shop vs. Dealer?!

Cheers from NC everyone!  I'm excited about this ultimate forum and my 'new to me' 04 Forester.  I'm sure both will hold up to their reputations - I do not plan to be let down! 

The Forester - it does have some character that I failed to notice prior to my purchase from the local Subaru dealer (Performance Subaru in Chapel Hill) - A missing fuel door release handle cover, missing rear head rests, loose console latch.  Ah,blinded by the excitement of it all.

I had a week to get an independent inspection, post-purchase.  The dealer said they would fix any significant issues, but are confident in their own thorough, in-house inspection.  So, I just had a highly respected foreign car shop in town complete an inspection (Auto Logic).

Auto Logic caught all of the aforementioned character flaws that I did not notice, nor which were pointed out to me during my extended, very indecisive negotiation with the dealer upon purchase.  So, win for Auto Logic.  

They also discovered a few other issues:

1. The head gaskets are showing signs of oil seepage.  An issue that they said is not urgent, but will need to be addressed down the road as expected with Subarus.

2. The spark plug wells have oil in them.  They are saying we must replace the spark plugs and spark plug valve cover gaskets (estimate $400-$500).

3. Battery is low with respect to ccas (440 of 550) and has the potential to fail in cold weather.

The conundrum:  The dealer says the first thing their mechanics look for are leaky head gaskets since it's a known issue.  Had they seen anything described above, particularly with head gaskets, it would have failed as a candidate for their lot and would have gone straight to auction.  

They are also saying the battery was tested in the same manner and was not problematic.  The Dealer Mechanic said to stop by to discuss these issues, but I am skeptical of the outcome.  I hope they will take an actual, physical look again, but their lack of enthusiasm is concerning, and they remarked that I already got a pretty good discount (original sticker price, all told after dealer fees, registration, taxes, etc. was ~$7500, I ended up at $6600).  

So, Battle of the Mechanics.  How would you recommend one proceed in this situation who is uneducated with respect to all things automotive and mechanical?    

Thanks in advance!
Kari

Now you know why almost all consumer advocates advise getting the independent inspection done before the sale.

My recommendation to someone uneducated in this situation is to become educated and start doing some of the maintenance work yourself. It isn't rocket science. For example, changing a battery is a job anyone can do.

Did the seller tell you the timing belt change interval and when it is due again?

Subarus older than 2010 or so (someone will chime in the exact cutoff date) have timing belts that need to be changed on schedule or they can break and destroy the engine top end. If you won't do this work yourself, you should start saving up. You can call around for prices. My guess would be 800 to 900 from an independent mechanic or 1200 dealer.

Welcome to USMB and if you are scared to do your own work, keep this thought in mind - you can screw it up for a lot less than anyone else.

After years of paying others to work on my vehicles and messing up, I came to that conclusion. Surprisingly I have yet to majorly screw something really bad. Not saying it won't happen but reading others mistakes before I do my work really helps

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1