Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My daughter has a 2000 forester with an automatic that she wasnt to swap a manual into.  I realize that this isn't a difficult job, but I just want to be sure that I have all my ducks in a row before she gets back from deployment.

I need a tranny, diff, drive shaft, shift linkage, hydraulic clutch parts and the pedal box.  I also need a clutch and fly wheel.  Am I missing anything?  Are there any issues that I might run into?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Bolts for the flywheel are longer than those on the flex plate.

Check and see what electronics - TCU, ECU etc may differ between the two and need to be swapped.

Trans crossmembers/mounts were different I think

Check that front axle spline count is the same between auto and manual.

Interior/console pieces is aesthetics will matter, Not necessary functoionally

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Yeah, need the flywheel bolts.

Need to make sure you have the metal clips that hold the throw out bearing on the lever.

Because you need to pass emissions (and possible inspection depending on state) so you need an ECU and possible the TCM. Otherwise you'll have a check engine light.

Yeah you need the crossmembers because they are different.

The axles should be the same. But I would double check just incase.

And yeah the interior is purely if you want it to look stock. If so, you need to find those parts from a forester otherwise they won't match and line up correctly.

Edited by golucky66

1998-2001 Impreza center console will also work. The ecu is trans specific so you will also need a compatible ecu. 2000-2001 Forester or Impreza should work. The pedals for a '93-01 Impreza will also work. Or a forester up to 2001.

Trans mount might need to come from a forester I'm not sure. Chassis is the same but the forester uses subframe spacers like an outback

Edited by matt167

a center console and instrument cluster. 

cruise control computer is different between auto and manual in 95-99 models.

trans mounts are usually left with the trans, so that should come with it. 

up to 1999 the ECU's are interchangeable between automatic and manual, i haven't done any 2000+ but i wouldn't immediately assume they'd change.

Thanks for all the info guys.  I am going to start gathering the parts now.  I hadn't thought about the starter or having a check engine light.  You guys are so much more helpful than the folks on the forester board.  They sent me to a wrx build that was absolutely no help.

Gary, How ahve you been?  You don't happen to have any of the parts that I need?

Mike

hey bud, i'm good.  nah i dont' have anything along those lines.

i'd convert it to cable clutch while you're at it if it were me.  the hydraulic clutches are more maintenance and failure - slave cylinders and hose and bleeding.  if you do go with hydraulic I'd get a new slave cylidner and hose. 

I think the forester wheelbase is the same as Impreza, which is about 3" shorter than the legacy/outback, so that driveshaft will likely be too long.

I wonder if I could use an impresa drive shaft?  It sucks that hey decided to make the drive shaft the way they did.

On my 2002 Forester, the MT drive-shaft is different from the AT drive-shaft.

See attached PDF from the 2002 Forester FSM.

That page shows 3 Universal-Joints for the MT.

And 2 UJs and one Double-Offset-Joint for the AT (the DOJ allows for axial movement).

Oh, I know that they are different, but I am wondering if it must be a forester shaft or if I can use a shaft from an Impreza.

Impreza 99-01 have a 99.2" wheelbase 

02-07 Impreza have a 99.4" wheelbase

01 Forester wheelbase is 99.4"

According to cars101.com

Among those you should be able to use the driveshaft from any impreza, but may need to make spacers for the carrier bearing bracket to achieve the correct driveshaft angle.