Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a bit of a weird question. January of this year I picked up a 2010 Outback up here in Canada that was originally from the USA, New York State I believe. Plug hanging out the front, just assumed it was for the block heater. I'm under the car recently and see a heating pad on the oil pan, follow the cord and low and behold it's the cord going up the front that I used last winter. I looked around and cannot find another cord anywhere. Unless I'm mistaken, don't all Outbacks come standard with block heaters? I looked up the location of the frost plugs to be sure and I'm sure I was looking at the right spot. On my previous Legacy I had to put a block heater in but I was near a dealership and picked it up there. Since I'm a few hours from one I took a look at Rock Auto and cannot find a listing for one. Am I going crazy? I searched through here but couldn't find anything or anyone else with the same question.

Are the block heaters hiding somewhere on the 2010 Outbacks and does Rock Auto not sell them?

Thanks in advance!

Have never heard of any Subarus built at the factory with a block heater. So, inclined to think that it is an after market add on, that you will have to install to the car.

The only thing I can think on, is maybe block heaters are factory installed in Canadian spec cars, but no so with American spec cars.

Edited by Rooster2
  • Like 1

Sadly I haven't owned enough of them yet to be sure, though I guess that's a comment on the quality!

I think I might try taking another look tonight but if there's not one I need to find somewhere online to order from. I'm hoping to not have to make a six hour round trip to a dealership for a $40 part.

Thanks for the input! :)

Nothing wrong with an oil pan heater, combine it with a heated battery blanket and your subi will be fine to well below zero.  Another option would be a radiator hose heater, but space could be a limiting factor with one of them.  Warm oil and a warm battery and your subi will start in any temp. One advantage to the horizontal boxer motor is that the oil gets out to the cams quickly even in deep cold temperatures. With your oil pan heater that oil will think its 30 above zero ... not 30 below !

• Like 1

I have the battery blanket from my last car to put in this weekend so I might be going with that and the oil pan heater. The winters here aren't so bad as the last place I live in northern Manitoba, minus -50c for months at a time, so I might be good without the block heater. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one without one, thought I might be going selectively blind under the car!