Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a list anywhere of what parts are compatible with other years?

Long story short. My beloved 99 legacy outback wagon, 30th anniversary edition, has been wrecked. Will have to call the insurance tomorrow. The other person was at fault, but the car is totaled. but front end, and I think the engine ma be ok, will know more when I go look at it tomorrow.

I am thinking about buying another car, but curious what years I should look for, and be able to use these parts? it has the 2.5:L auto.

The other options are to move on to something else. or move on and not worry about all of the good parts I have put into this car.

Thanks

Doug

there's no interchange really - it depends on parts and what you're trying to do - there's too many variables.

"be able to use these parts" - depends what you mean...

body parts - forester and impreza's and SVX's are out.  1995-1999 outbacks same body, legacy wagons similar, front of legacy sedans the same.

engine, trans, brakes, interior, suspension (and how much of the suspension)..all have different answers. 

the engine is directly interchangeable with any 1996-1998 EJ25 vehicle and 1999 Outacks and Legacys with EJ25, as well as 1995 automatic EJ22's, and 1995 manuals EJ22's with a minor work around with vacuum lines.

that engine and the exhaust manifold is plug and play compatible with 1996-1998 EJ22 vehicles, impreza or legacy.

suspension and brakes generally interchange all day long on subarus but there are some notes depending on years/models/goals.  wanting to swap "A" often means also swapping "A" and "B"....

• Like 1

It depends on the settlement from the ins. co. but I was thinking of getting a running car, and a fixer upper, and getting the car that was wrecked back and making 2 good cars, and some parts left over, My daughter liked the car, and I have another child who will need a car as her neon is on it's last legs.So I was thinking if it is worth it, or not? with all of the work, or do I get one car, and not have to work on it nd let the wrecked car go to the great beyond?

Hi,

That depends on your commitment to the project, space to work on it (and a warm garage, esp. if Eastern WA) and avl. time. :-)

There are still a lot '95-'99 Legacys on the road, but they're getting their miles on. So, you could probably pick up one that's worn but not trashed for $1K, and swap your good parts over.

Have Fun,

Td

So I have the space to do this. How many miles will these cars usually run. If I get one with 200-220K on the odometer, is it worth the investment? or will it die by 250K? there are a lot of them around, but this wrecked one was my first experience with a subaru

• 5 years later...
41 minutes ago, RollinAtire said:

So I recently purchased an 01 Outback limited, and would like to upgrade my front end suspension and running gear any advice or pointers would be appreciated 

Welcome.

For future reference, usually better to start your own thread vs. 'hijack' an exisiting one, that is 6 years old. Although I can see where this thread's title 'Part Interchange' may seem similiar, it sounds like you want to upgrade yours?

If you're coming from another platform - Jeep, Toyota, etc   -  explain what you're trying to do? If not, What's your End Game (Goal)? Some want to Lift it up, others want to 'slam' it down, etc. 

• Like 2