Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie here...

Sorry to bother you guys with a stupid question, but I'm trying to help out an elderly neighbor. I want to change her fuel filter on a '92 Loyale. Do I need to relieve the fuel pressure before disconnecting the underhood filter? I know on Fords, we trip a fuel shut off switch in the trunk and then run her dry before removing fuel lines, but I'm unfamiliar with the Subaru. Is there some trick to accomplishing the same thing here? Is it as simple as pulling a fuse or something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

~Steve

You can pull the fuse, but the FSM actually says to unplug the pump and run it dry I think.. The pump is under the car right in front of the passenger rear tire. theres a little two wire connector.. pretty easy. In case you don't know already, the fuel filter is mounted right behind the front drivers strut tower.

Welcome to the board.

i took a dry rag and put it around the old filter , and unsrewed the clamps , very little gas came out , please do not smoke while doing this and you might want to do it outside on the gravel . make sure you put the the new one on the the right way

for carb models, I use some "hose pliers" they are orange, and squeeze the lines to stop the flow (without damaging them). they have a "stop" piece on them that allows them to be locked into the closed position.

before getting these, I always used a vice grips very carefully to stop the flow.....