Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 Loyale 4WD wagon suspension questions

My wagon seems to handle okay -- it corners pretty well. The ride is rather rough.

Using the push-down-on-the-bumper test, I see the front right and rear left bounce more. Others have pointed this out after testing.

Also, the rear left is lower than the rear right. Is this necessarily strut-related?

I washed my car today because I can't afford a new old car, and I want a change. I also purchased from advance a Monroe front strut and a rear strut.

But after searching here on USMB (great site, btw) I learned:

1. My suspension might not be THAT bad.

2. I shouldn't change just one strut, at least in the front.

3. I may need to pay for an alignment if I change struts on the front.

4. Monroe's not the best brand.

I'm thinking about taking the struts back and just fixing the height problem in the rear left. Or just replacing the rear left if it's strut-related.

Anyway, this is where I am...Any advice?

Much thanks,

There are three different strut lengths for EA82 cars. Short=XT, medium=2wd and some 4WD sedans. Long = 4WD wagon

Oh yeah.. theres the RX struts too, but I can't remember where they fit in there.

And to confuse matters even more, 85-86 4WD wagons had adjustable struts.

a worn out strut insert (shock absorber) won't affect the ride height, only the bouncyness. however, struts or coilovers transplanted from other models, or different brands of aftermarket can affect ride height because of different springs, spring cup locations or different tube lengths. A sagging spring will also cause the ride height to drop. If the car was parked for a very long period of time on uneven ground the springs could have sagged differently. I'm sure you'd notice if your frame was bent enough to show a visible change in ride height. My guess is that you've got mismatched struts/coilovers.

I'd like to drop the ride height of my '92 4X4 Loyale(I don't plan on taking it 4-wheeling). Will the shorter XT struts fit and not cause any probs with the 4-wheel drive? The thing just looks like it's ready to take off a cliff or something:D I want to put some nice rims/tires on it and fix it up a bit. (No, I won't rice it out. I promise:grin: )