Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problem with the a/c and ventilation

Hello.

Today's morning my parents use the Leone 92 to go to shopping and come back home. They used the ventilation and sometimes the a/c till they get home.

After 2 hours, In drove to a store to buy oil and when I turned the button from off to 1-2-3-4 the ventilation or a/c didn't work. It's seems like it dead. I turned the button but nothing happend. I checked the vacum of the system, but it was ok. When I tried to turn the button when when the a/c button press in the compressor didn't work too.

Someone can tell me what can be the problem? What is the part that make me this annoying problem? How can I fix that problem?

Thanks, Gal.

First thing, most of the interior of the car is similar, and most of the exterior is similar.

The second thing, I did, was to check the fuse. it was ok, I even try with new fuse but it didn't work. What could be the problem? And how can I solve it?

Up under the hood near the firewall on the passengerside of the car there is a relay block. It is near the white vacuum cannister. The relays are brown and there are two of them. One of them has gone bad and is preventing the A/C from comming on. Change these out and the problem should be fixed. If that does not fix the problem I would check the blower motor and be sure the rheostat is good and the motor is good. I have had problems with each of these items on various cars. Start with the relays

Good Luck

Mike

What is the firewll on the passenger side? what is this firewall? can u show me a pic with the place of the firewall and the place of the relays.

I try to remember where is this place and what are that relays but I'm not remember where and what its is so if U have any pictures of that thing I will be glad.

If the ac refrigerant charge is low, the compressor will not come on, but the fan should work. If the fan does not work, then you have to check the fuses for the fan and you say that the fuses are OK. If your fuses are OK, then you have to check the bower motor. For this, most likely, you will have to remove the bower motor from under the glovebox (most likely). I believe it is your blower motor.

Regards,

aba4430

Inside the engine compartment under the hood, go to the passenger side and look up by the windshield and you will see a small white cannister. That is the vacuum canister I was referring to. Look down towards the front of the car, between that cannister and the strut tower and you will see the two tan relays. This is most likely your problem. If the blower motor is bad then the compressor would still come on, but you wouldn't get air curculating in the cabin. If you cannot find the relays send me an email mdjdc@visi.net and I will try to get you a picture. I don't have my digital camera with me at the moment, but I will on Monday.

sincerely,

Mike

• 10 months later...
Hello.

Today's morning my parents use the Leone 92 to go to shopping and come back home. They used the ventilation and sometimes the a/c till they get home.

After 2 hours, In drove to a store to buy oil and when I turned the button from off to 1-2-3-4 the ventilation or a/c didn't work. It's seems like it dead. I turned the button but nothing happend. I checked the vacum of the system, but it was ok. When I tried to turn the button when when the a/c button press in the compressor didn't work too.

Someone can tell me what can be the problem? What is the part that make me this annoying problem? How can I fix that problem?

Hi, The AC and Fan in my 90 legacy works when it wants to. Sometimes turning thr car off and back on will cause it to work again. Anyone have this problem?Thanks

My fan went on and off, after a bump or pounding the dashboard with my fist. I read this newsgroup-- that the bad unit could be relays, switches, and fan resistors. I finally removed the dashboard, slid out the AC / Heater control panel, unplugged the connector in the rear and took the front of the control panel case off. Two more screws and I lifted off the rear circuit board and examined the solder points for the plug connector. Several of the solder connection had very fine cracks and when I moved the plug part I could see the cracks (and the soldered pin) move, but, this is very small movement and small cracks. Under a 4X lens the cracks on three pins were easier to see. So, I simply reheated the solder joints on all the pins and added some fresh solder to make a more secure phsical connection. Instant and complete relief!

The reason the solder joints cracked in the first place is that the wire cable and plug that connects to the rear of the control panel has significant inertia. After 15 years the bumping and jarring wiggled that plug enough to crack the joints, even with strain-relief strapping. After the cracks developed, oxide probably built up enough to hold the connection open until another bump (or my fist) knocked the connection together again.

I ran through a lot of tricky hypotheses trying to find a way around taking that dashboard off, like the relays, a vaccuum leak, the diaphragm, and the fan motor. Also, since the fan often started when I first started the car I though it might be some sort of element heating.

Good luck.