Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Vag-Com cable works with Freessm?

I know that common Audi/ VW Vag- Com 409.1 cables are reported to work with Subaru Freessm and things like Romraider.. But which chipset cable is it? I know there is like 3 and 2 of them are FTDI chips. Cables seem to be right around $10 for either. Does it even matter?

I have this one from DX.com:

http://www.dx.com/p/volkswagen-vag-kkl-409-1-vw-audi-diagnostic-testing-cable-black-401361#.WCVsfeDhCCg

But it is sold out. Anything which pops up with VAG and KKL will work for both SSM and CAN.

FreeSSM gives most information but lacks logging, Romraider stopped working since i have a CAN car. Somehow it cant choose between SSM or CAN.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I have an OBD Link SX II which uses the same hardware as the Vag-com/ kkl but also has a microprocessor to switch protocols for use in multiple vehicles. I can't make it work with Freessm. Freessm detects the cable but won't work with it

I want Freessm for the force testing capabilities. My OBD Link SX has live data and data logging. Not as good as Romraider though