Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all, 

I just bought an '88 DL Wagon 4WD with a manual transmission. I got a few miles and then the engine just quit. It wants to start, but won't. At first, pumping the gas pedal helped to keep it running for a second or two, but now it's not doing a thing for me. The internet has been comically unhelpful, for example: I haven't found reliable information regarding the location of the fuel pump. Is it in the tank, or under the passenger side rear seat? What's the best way to approach it, through the trunk or from underneath? Any and all help, insights, pictures and advice are much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a similar problem. My fuel pump wasn't working so I just bought a fuel pump and replaced it but this was not the problem. I checked the power at the plug and there was none. I checked the fuseable links and while the key was turned on the was power to second wire(red) and power to the 4th (black) wire but none to the two green wires. Not sure if this is a possible cause. These two green wires still have no power when the engine is turning over . No fuel will pump still and i cant find a relay to check anywhere its a mess of wires below the steering column. Any ideas?