Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone!  I am new to this forum and I am eager to hear any advice you guys are willing to share.  I have a JDM 2000 Subaru Legacy B4 w/ automatic transmission and recently been having issues with the parking brake or ebrake rubbing inside the rotor.  I have taken the rear brake pads out, still makes noise when I spin the rotor.  I have taken the calipers and caliper bracket or support and it still makes noise.  I take the whole rotor out and I get no noise.  I know it is not the back plate because I ruled that out by barely putting the rotor on the wheel hub (so there is no chance of the rotor scraping on the back plate) and I still get noise.  So I know it is the shoes that are rubbing in the rotor.  I have messed with the dial at the 6 o'clock position and zeroed it out completely and still get scraping sounds when I put my rotor back on.  Any ideas of what it could be?  Do I need a new rotor or do I need to mess with the parking cable?  I have no clue what to do next.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

If the rotor has been replaced before it's possible the inner lip of the park brake drum is rubbing against the backing plate.

There will always be some drag from the brake drum against the shoes. It's unavoidable, and it's normal. But it shouldn't be a scraping or grinding sound. It should just make a mild hiss sound as the rotor spins.

• Like 1

It cannot be the backing plate.  I know this because I did a test where I barely slid the rotor in and spinned it.  I still got noise.  And the scraping is not constant.  It's almost as if the rotor is warped from the inside.  Now what is also interesting is that if I push the rotor in with force, hold it in place, and spin it, the noise goes away.  So I tried tightening the lug nuts on the wheel to make sure it presses the rotor as far back as possible and it still makes noise.