Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy sedan drivers power lock switch

The door lock switch on the drivers side has been intermintant for a while now.  Currently not working.  And I am getting ready to sell it so time to fix it for the next owner.

I know I have to pull the door panel to get to it (hints for removal tricks appreciated).

But can the switch be cleaned and reused? 

Or do I have to source another drivers door lock switch?

Thanks

Greg

Usually it requires a new switch. I am doing the switch in my 98 today. The door panels come off very easy, 1 screw hidden under a call on the inside door handle and 1 screw hidden by a bigger cap on the arm rest. There is also 1 plastic pop in clip where the door is covered by the dash when shut. After that start at the bottom and pull. It will pop out if the inside clips then lift up and it's out. For the switch you will have to pull a lot of small screws that hold the cover on the back side of the door panel. Make sure that you plug in the new switch and test it before putting it back together

gregB,

I've fixed all kinds of window switches over the years, and several of them on my subies. 90% of the time the switch can be cleaned with a spray electrical contact cleaner. Pull the switch from the car, disconnect the wiring harness, spray the cleaner into every crevice you can find, cycle the switch ten or so times, and wait 5 minutes for the fluid to evaporate before you hook it back up and try it.

You may have to do this twice, and sometimes, if you're brave, put the entire switch inside a large clear baggy with your hands and suitable tools to open it up to get at its contacts (the baggie keeps small springs and contacts from flying off into the grass and getting lost).

As a last resort ... buy a used switch (eBay, wrecking yard), as a new one will chock you when you see the price

I don't need the master multiple switch power window switch, just the stand alone power door lock switch

Went up on the local Subbie dealers web parts page, around $25 after 30% reduction. 

Unless someone has a used one sitting around collecting dust  ;)   (Wanted ad posted in parts wanted section)

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced switch yesterday. 

For anyone else, to make it easier, take off the triangle shaped trip  piece that hides the mirror mount.

Three push pin/posts hold it in place.  I nicked the door panel on the lower edge before I removed it.