Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first rain wiper issue possible

the wipers on my 1998 outback park in the normal position but when i turn them on the drivers one slaps into the windshield trim on the drivers side is there a common issue to this? i dont think its the wiper arm being out of adjustment as they do park at the bottom of the windshield and are both flat across when parked.

i did not want to go back outside earlier because it was still raining the rain has let up i went out and checked the wipers there is no play in the bushings that the wiper arm mounts to but there is play if i move the wiper up and down the window. both wipers move together about an inch and a half travel on the glass.

Edited by sirtokesalot

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Caboobaroo on this.  I've replaced a couple of units with salvage linkages without having to mess around with the Dorman type replacement parts.  I check the linkage at the yard before I remove it to see how tight they feel with regards to slop.  So far I am 2 for 2 on good replacements.  This time of year, an ebay linkage can work nicely too...warmer for the hands.