Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 diff rim widths on Loyale... bad idea?

Hey all, new here, not an expert but always hoping to learn more.

I'm getting snow tires for my '91 Loyale this year, and wanted to get a second set of rims for 'em. I found two stock '91 steel rims at the local Pick-n-Pull. I also found two 4x140 rims on an older 80s GL, but they're narrower than the '91s.

So now I have four 13" 4x140 Subaru rims, but two are stock 5" wide (inner diameter) and the older pair are 4.5" wide.

The 175/70 tires I'm planning on getting will fit both 4.5" and 5" rim widths, so I could do this and have four matching tires... just on two different rim widths.

Bad idea? Liable to stress or damage anything, especially with regard to the 4WD?

Thanks

Edited by Pokey

It's not ideal, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a new, AWD car.

But, being that it's not a new car, and it's part-time 4WD (which means you should only be engaging the 4WD in slippery conditions), it's probably fine.

Also something you should be aware of. EA81 wheels will not clear the front brake calipers on an EA82. I think it's possible to space them out, but not great. If you only run the narrower wheels in the back, no problem....but that's inconvenient to say the least.

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

I may have done this a long time ago. I had a pair of rims that hit the front calipers. I made a 1/8" thick spacer disc, and they worked. Never noticed a problem. Eventually, I ended up with more gl/ loyale rims, and got rid of the old ones.

It's not ideal, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a new, AWD car.

But, being that it's not a new car, and it's part-time 4WD (which means you should only be engaging the 4WD in slippery conditions), it's probably fine.

Also something you should be aware of. EA81 wheels will not clear the front brake calipers on an EA82. I think it's possible to space them out, but not great. If you only run the narrower wheels in the back, no problem....but that's inconvenient to say the least.

Cool, "probably fine" is about what I was hoping for. And yes, I'd only expect to be in 4WD a relatively small percentage of my total miles, and I'd be keeping my eye out for a proper pair, so the whole mis-matched situation will ideally not last too long. Sounds like I'd be okay on a short-term basis, which is good news.

But I'm not quite sure I follow when you say that running the EA81s on the rear would be inconvenient to say the least. It sounds like running them on the rear is the easier solution to the front caliper rub, compared to making a spacer and putting them on the front. Am I missing something obvious about why they'd be a problem on the rear?

It means you cannot rotate your tires front to rear. If your tires are directional, it complicates mounting them.

If this board has taught me anything over the years, it's that getting your hands on a couple 13" EA82 rims in the PNW shouldn't be hard. I've probably thrown away a dozen of them over the years....

Hahaha! I ran into that! Just slightly mad!!