Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm trying to find steel wheels for my 16 OB. I'm looking to get 17's because they're apparently the smallest you can go without grinding down the calipers ???? I have no idea about offsets, spacers, width, or any of that jazz and would like some guidance.

My car currently sits on th stock 225/60r18 tires and whatever wheels coincide. My goal is to get a fatter tire size. I don't care how far they stick out or anything, I just want them to be safe and practical. I do not currently have a lift, but I plan on getting on sometime in the future.

you can find on-line calculators that can help with most of the offset/profile/width/diameter issues of wheel/tire combinations - but if you are going more than a few millimeters wider, they often won't help with rubbing problems. Often best to ask in the various forums if a certain wheel/tire combo has created problems for people. That may be why you aren't finding too many options - there can be clearance issues where the tire could rub on the spring perch, fender or something. And if you find something that works now, it may rub after the lift depending on hoe you accomplish that.

nasioc.com may have some guidance but really, for a '16 Outback, you may very well be among the first to try anything and reports of that mod may be scarce. And the NASIOC guys can be cranky - make sure you search and read first.

Try the Outback forum at subaruoutback.org, they're a little further along around lifting / potential strut-tire rubbing on the gen4/5's.

In short: 2016's have the 5x114.3 bolt pattern, you can find offset and sizes here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html , looks like they've been switching sizes around a bit with the gen4/5's!

The 17's seem to show up occasionally in the classifieds sections, but that pattern isn't compatible with the gen3 and older (and maybe some of gen4?) Outback wheels. It's also not compatible with any Foresters (which also share the 48 offset) - all those wheels are 5x100, which limits your choices a fair amount..