Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug, hub redrill pros/cons

Bearing in mind I'm staying on road, talk to me about my options for getting off the 13" rims.

I have all the stuff to go either way, 5lug, or redrill for a smaller 4lug pattern (prob 4x114.3)

My XT is fwd, and i have a fwd XT6 for parts to 5lug. I also have a set of fwd rear disks. I know labor wise, redrilling is easier. I also know that for future performance upgrades the 5lug gives more options.

Help me make up my mind so i can settle on a course of action

Redrill to a different 4-lug pattern? That's not exactly simple, as you have to drill all 4 holes without any reference. Drilling to 6-lug is easy as 2 of the lugs already line up. Also, the center bore will have to be machined off.

If you have the 5-lug parts, I see no reason not to.

Redrill to a different 4-lug pattern? That's not exactly simple, as you have to drill all 4 holes without any reference. Drilling to 6-lug is easy as 2 of the lugs already line up. Also, the center bore will have to be machined off.

If you have the 5-lug parts, I see no reason not to.

I redrill them 4 bolt pattern http://www.sjrlift.com/index.php/catalog/misc/hub-4-x-4-5-in-114-3mm-detail

If you've got all the parts, doing a 5 lug swap in a few hours shouldn't be a problem. Barring nothing breaking/sticking in your car rusting climate :P

Each front corner is:

3 bolts at top of strut, 1 bolt for lower control arm (join to crossmember), 1 nut for radius rod, 1 nut for steering tie rod end, 1 bolt for anti-roll bar, 1 pin for driveshaft, then brake line & e brake

rear end is simpler:

axle nut, brake line, 3 bolts for backing plate

bleed the brake fluid & you're done.

If you've got all the parts, doing a 5 lug swap in a few hours shouldn't be a problem. Barring nothing breaking/sticking in your car rusting climate :P

Each front corner is:

3 bolts at top of strut, 1 bolt for lower control arm (join to crossmember), 1 nut for radius rod, 1 nut for steering tie rod end, 1 bolt for anti-roll bar, 1 pin for driveshaft, then brake line & e brake

rear end is simpler:

axle nut, brake line, 3 bolts for backing plate

bleed the brake fluid & you're done.

Not included in this: swapping inner cv's, or trans to the fwd turbo trans i have. I'd either have to do this or source some early fwd impreza axles to have the proper spline counts on both ends.

I really have done my homework on both possibilities. This is my daily driver, and honestly will probably never be upgraded for high horsepower. The 4 wheel disks should be more than enough upgrade to handle my needs. (Its currently disk/drum) It has a rear sway bar, bigger than the one on the turbo.

Thanks for the input, I think for my needs the redrill (by competent machinists) is the best soution for a stock(ish) ea82 fwd car. Being >100hp I think it'll be just fine :)

Anyone wanna buy some fwd 5lug parts?