Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 ECU experimenting

DaveT

I have also found that pins 9 & 10 [2 of the 3 mode select pins] on the CPU have 100nF capacitors to GND.  Reset Has a 10nF.  Those 2 will be low longer than reset.  Not sure if it would be long enough for it to read them as low at power up, but maybe?

That is quite possible. Because the state of those pins is latched in during reset and loaded into the program counter it could be we are not in mode7? Is that what you are thinking?

Once these maps are available, would they be compatible with the n/a "spider intake" xt ecu? I kinda doubt it, as that engine has an optical distributor. Not the reluctor setup the loyale used

Well if the EPROM data that DaveT downloaded with is reader are indeed maps, they are all ready available a few posts up. Feel free to download and go take a look.  Exploring will be easier if you get the hex editor to navigate the file.

Edited by MR_Loyale

It looks like the CPU is in mode 1, if my thinking about the capacitors is correct.  But this doesn't match the table 3 in the CPU data sheet, because the address and data are multiplexed from what I have traced so far.  According to the wiring traced so far, it's mode 0,2,4, or 6.

I can capture the state of those pins once we have determined all the GND & power wiring and I can power the thing up.  Getting the logic analyzer close to the car is not very practical.

Traced out some of the power supply.  +5V to run the CPU comes from the C of T1, the big transistor on it's own heat sink.  IC10, the HA1835 is the regulator that drives T1, a 2SB566A  PNP Bipolar transistor.  Found the switched 12V input to the regulator.

Still have to find the constant power feed.

It looks like the CPU is in mode 1, if my thinking about the capacitors is correct.  But this doesn't match the table 3 in the CPU data sheet, because the address and data are multiplexed from what I have traced so far.  According to the wiring traced so far, it's mode 0,2,4, or 6.

I can capture the state of those pins once we have determined all the GND & power wiring and I can power the thing up.  Getting the logic analyzer close to the car is not very practical.

Do you have access to any schematic software? If we could be a preliminary schematic going, it would help to better visualize this.

I have cadstar, the pro software I use at work. I have to build all of the unique chips (any parts I used previously, I already have) for it before I can start drawing a schematic, so I've just been writing it out on paper, or just making notes.

Regarding the ignition timing: 

Since the CPU can't anticipate an event, it can only react, the ignition trigger must occur well before TDC.  Then the CPU computes a time delay to fire the spark some time later, that will wind up being at 20 BTDC, or whatever is on the table or calculated. 

I have always assumed the static, at idle ignition timing was the basepoint that the CPU used to calculate the timing at other RPM's and loads, but I suspect that is not the case, now.   Especially since my current Loyale was set to 30 deg, BTDC at idle, and never really exhibited any of the expected signs of too much advance when running at speed.

I haven't had a chance to review the BIN yet. A week before last Tuesday, the roof blew off my deck so I've been dealing with damage control and the insurance. It used to be attached to the the deck and the roof on the second story of the house in the back. Tuesday morning, it was in the front yard laying against the house. May not sound too bad, but this was a 20'x30' all steel roof weighing in at 2000 lbs. Had to bring in a crane to get it off the house and dismantle it. Happy New Year to me.

Here is a list of ECU part numbers and cars they came from / are in.   Looking for patterns, and more data from any other out there, if you can read yours and add them, that would be good.

GL / Loyale SPFI ECU numbers / versions.  Assuming 49 state unless marked otherwise.

1987 2WD 3AT wagon [4WD added]

2261 AA200

MECF – 011

7122 3E

Big letter to the left = N

Painted ECU

1988 4WD 3AT wagon

2261 AA390

MECF – 021

7805 3C

Big letter to the left = 18

Painted ECU

19?? 4WD ?? wagon

2261 AA100

MECF – 001

5Y14

Big letter to the left = E

Painted ECU & flatter case

19?? 4WD ?? wagon

2261 AA102

MECF – 002B

Big letter to the left = R

Painted ECU & flatter case

1990 4WD 3AT wagon – not 100% sure, just by process of elimination

2261 AA394

MECF – 023

9Y27 G5

Big letter to the left = A9

Gray ECU

1992 4WD 3AT wagon

2261 AA395

MECF – 025

1X03 H7

Big letter to the left = J4

Gray ECU

1993 4WD 3AT wagon - California market

2261 AA395

MECF – 025

2622 H7

Big letter to the left = J4

Gray ECU

I have one from a 1987 4WD 5spd d/r wagon, one of the unknown ones.
I have one from a scrap yard, probably a wagon, don't remember.

I may have another floating around that I can't locate right now.

I took a look in one of the know ECUs  the 88 - Quite different from the one I started with.  I'll add more info about that tomorrow.

Hopefully, we can identify what cars the flatter ones came from, as they don't seem to match the others.

Edited by DaveT

I haven't had a chance to review the BIN yet. A week before last Tuesday, the roof blew off my deck so I've been dealing with damage control and the insurance. It used to be attached to the the deck and the roof on the second story of the house in the back. Tuesday morning, it was in the front yard laying against the house. May not sound too bad, but this was a 20'x30' all steel roof weighing in at 2000 lbs. Had to bring in a crane to get it off the house and dismantle it. Happy New Year to me.

Yikes! You concentrate on your roof. We will still be here.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of special effects builds eating my time right now, but will get back to this research.  I was hoping for a few more ECU nameplate info with model & year to help decide which ECU to re-start tracing, since I inadvertently picked an odd one to start with.

Since there are at least a few differences in the ECUs,  when I get back into it, should I restart on this thread, or start a new one? 

• 9 months later...

Has anyone reached out to Rob, or RobTune fame over on Legacy Central?  Seems like he did all this decoding for the EJ20G ECUs and might be able to provide some guidance and a heap of experience on this matter.

It would be really cool to be able to rechip, or even reflash an EA82T ECU.