Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remove & install evaporator in a MY00 impreza?

Hi everyone!

Im brand new here, living in sweden.

I have a impreza GT, with no AC.

I have bought a system, so I can mount it in my car.

The question is, how do you remove the evaporator in the car?

I know it´s placed in the passenger side of the car, in the heat exchanger under the glovbox.

How do i get it out?

Has anyone done this, and have some pictures or some kind of instruction how to refitt an whole AC system?

Thanx.

//Jimmy

Living here in over-taxed Denmark, I'd like to start by saying that I am very jealous. Your car probably costs less to own/run/insure than my regular Impreza.

The glovebox needs to come out, to begin with. (Two screws in the hinge at the bottom) Only if you are lucky will you be able to work from there without taking out a whole bunch of other stuff. The heat exchanger is connected to engine coolant system inside the engine bay, on the "firewall".

I would strongly recommend finding a Subaru manual before you start this project. It will save you a lot of trouble if you know exactly what you are doing.

But I dont have to take out the whole heat exchanger, right!?

There is not a plastic thing that I can remove, and then take out the evaporator?

Can I see something through the fan hole maybe?

I´m a porsche engineer, so I can repair and so on cars.

I just need some help to localize the evaporator and tak it out and mount it in my car.

(the guy I bought it from have not taken out the evaporator, so I have to do that as well)

to get the evap out, just take the glove box out, and you should see the evap box right behind it. on the first gen legacies there's 2 bolts holding it in place. Once the lines are removed from the a/c system under the hood the box should just pull right out. and no you don't need to remove the heat exchanger to get the evap out.

to get the evap out, just take the glove box out, and you should see the evap box right behind it. on the first gen legacies there's 2 bolts holding it in place. Once the lines are removed from the a/c system under the hood the box should just pull right out. and no you don't need to remove the heat exchanger to get the evap out.

OK, I think I got it now.

Took down the glove box, and looked behind it.

The heat exchanger is white, the evap box is black with the blower and the recycle flaps monted on.

The hole box is mounted with 4 screws I think.

I can see where the black and white box are put togheter, with some kind of sealing.

I hope it´s easy to take it out! ;)

The blower unit has a motor attached on the bottom side. The box next to it, made of two halves joining horizontally, is the evaporator case. The heater core is hidden under the instrument panel but you can know where it is by looking at the heater hoses on the other side of the bulkhead.