Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1980 BRAT the engine has run sand through the carb and im assuming also the engine and the 4spd does not work for what I am looking to do with this car I found a 1989 GL that has every part I was going to try and swap into my BRAT engine, trans, rear dif, transfer case, and seats besides the seats what work will need to be done to swap over the whole or close to whole drive train? is it plug and play or am I going to need to bust out the welder and fabricobble some mounts or is this swap completely not doable I have never done or tried to do anything like this with a car the closest was helping with a 305 swap into a ventura with no front end and the mounts were fabricobbled by someone else who had done it before.

80 to 89, I'm kind of guessing, because i don't specifically know brats, but i think you'll need the harness and all the dash instruments etc.

As far as I know, an 80 would be carburetor, and an 89 spfi. The mechanical stuff, others will know, because of other partial swaps I've seen.

An 1989 GL will be a EA82, don't bother as it (a) won't fit without cutting frame rails, and (B) isn't worth the effort.

Either use an EA81 or a later-model EJ20/22 SOHC. I believe the EA81 will drop in ok on an 1980 BRAT, not sure on the EJ.

Yer, I'd go with an EA81 for a direct swap, anything later will require modifying ... :/

If you do have your heart set on a later model, go for EJ SOHC gear as it should fit without too much trouble.

May also require 'massaging' the tunnel, depending on which transmission you use ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Yer, I'd go with an EA81 for a direct swap, anything later will require modifying ... :/

If you do have your heart set on a later model, go for EJ SOHC gear as it should fit without too much trouble.

May also require 'massaging' the tunnel, depending on which transmission you use ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

I really want EFI, and the trans im looking at is a 5spd with 4hi/lo

what kind of modifying are you talking about. DFOYL said cutting frame rails which can be done but there has be more options, how much bigger than an EA81 is the EA82? they have the same bore, the same stroke, and same displacement. the mounting points might be in a different location but I can't see the physical engine size being any different 

And if it comes to it whats the possibility of swapping over the rails from the GL

Yerp - The 5 speed may not fit in the tunnel, as is a bigger unit than old one + the EA82 is wider & will require rail mods.

I'd get both drivelines & lay them out, once you have them side by side & note the differences - you'll see what will / wont work.

Yes you could cut the tunnel & rails from a donor - lot of work though. P.S. - You'd want the strut towers as well.

Ciao, Bantum ...

Yerp - The 5 speed may not fit in the tunnel, as is a bigger unit than old one + the EA82 is wider & will require rail mods.

I'd get both drivelines & lay them out, once you have them side by side & note the differences - you'll see what will / wont work.

Yes you could cut the tunnel & rails from a donor - lot of work though. P.S. - You'd want the strut towers as well.

Ciao, Bantum ...

The floor pan in the brat was completely rusted out on the driver side and only in the rear on the passenger so a rebuild is needed so the trans tunnel can be made to fit the new trans in the replacement. The Pick n pull up the road has a GL im gonna go look at that and take measurements of everything and see what im gonna do before i purchase the parts car

So if I go for an EJ what do you recomend I take it from

Edited by Divisible_By_0