Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone new here, and looking for your expertise...I have an 06 Outback, and I'm looking to swap between snow tires, and summer tires for the Maine seasons..I would prefer to just have 2 sets of wheels/rims one with winter tires on them, and another set with the summer tires on them...My question is:

Do all '06 Outback wheels/rims use the same bolt pattern?..And are they, or would they be interchangeable between all other '06 outbacks?

So basically could I buy a friend's rims off of his car and slap them on mine if we both have 06 outbacks?..

Thanks for your help!

Yes and yes. All Subaru's post-Loyale (1994) use 5x100 PCD so you can use pretty much anything (note WRX uses a higher positive offset, 53mm instead of the usual 48mm). Your only limitation will be clearing your calipers, so don't go for a smaller diameter wheel without confirming it will clear your calipers (typically the front caliper will be the limiting factor).

Steel wheels are cheap.  They are also tough, so if you slide into a curb, there is a bit less chance of damage, and it won't break the bank if you do have to replace a wheel.  There is no advantage to aluminum wheels for winter tires, they just get corroded.  But if you can get a set for cheap cheap cheap from a friend, use them, over buying new steelies.. 

For the original question. All 2006 Outbacks wheels are interchangeable with other 2006

Yes and yes. All Subaru's post-Loyale (1994) use 5x100 PCD so you can use pretty much anything (note WRX uses a higher positive offset, 53mm instead of the usual 48mm). Your only limitation will be clearing your calipers, so don't go for a smaller diameter wheel without confirming it will clear your calipers (typically the front caliper will be the limiting factor).

Obviously you're in a different market, but here in the US. 2005+ STis, all Tribecas, All SVXs, 2015+ Outbacks, and 2015+ WRXs

Steel wheels are cheap.  They are also tough, so if you slide into a curb, there is a bit less chance of damage, and it won't break the bank if you do have to replace a wheel.  There is no advantage to aluminum wheels for winter tires, they just get corroded.  But if you can get a set for cheap cheap cheap from a friend, use them, over buying new steelies.. 

I completely disagree with this statement. Steel wheels typically bend way easier than alloys. I've seen 3 steelies wrapped around brake rotors like a pretzel (all three required putting the spare tire on on the course) on RallyXs, zero alloys. Yes, alloy corrodes, but steel rusts, so that's a wash. I had to get all 4 of my steelies on my XT6 resealed due to rust.

I might have been better off with a steel wheel when I hit the curb in my XT6 years ago. As the weaker steel wheel might have bent. As it was, the alloy wheel stayed straight as can be, and the suspension arm bent, and being an XT6, that was a big project to repair. Of course it was all stuff I could do in my driveway, I didn't have to go to a shop to get a new wheel mounted and balanced.

The only advantage to steel is cost. Alloy is lighter and stronger.

Edited by Numbchux

My experience with rust vs corrosion : only this year did I sand and repaint the beads on my 23+ year old steelies. Our recently aquired 09 Forester had 2 leaking down faster than the worst 23yr old, and the other 2 double that. Maybe it was just the shop that put the tires on before we bought it didn't clean them right?

Read this to see wheel/tire info for '06: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2006.html#mechanicals

- Steel: heavy, surface rust, $

- Alloy: lighter, potential corrosion on bead, $$+

- Two sets of lug nuts may be required. I have chrome  acorn (?) nuts for my WRX summer wheels; basic lug nuts for winter that Subaru used on their steel wheeled cars from the '90s. Same for my '07 RAV4. The alloys' lug nuts don't work w/the steelies.

- I also recommend a set of wheel covers. They may help keep the steelies cleaner??

I've used both and all the above is true (except for the bolt pattern, which IS corrected by Numchux), but unless you're prone to curb abuse, the steelies are tough enough. But as you're in the land of salt, rust may be more of a concern.

I've read that the skinner tire helps 'concentrate' the tread grip, depending on road conditions? But it may depend more on tread pattern, air pressure, etc? >>>>Googling now....LOOKS LIKE I've got some reading to do!

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

I have a friend with the alloys so I'll probably just go with the alloys for a decent price...He is now telling me that they are off an 05 outback though, these should still work on the 06 though I believe correct?

Thanks for all the input all!

• Like 1

My bad, I completely forgot about the STi / Tribeca / SVX 5x114.3 PCD. We do have them here, but in such small numbers I didn't think about them.

For your two wheel types, I can't see the diameter of the wheels in the photo. I would guess the first one is a 16", so you need to make sure the others are also 16" (or larger). Note that different trim levels came with different wheel sizes (base model was 16", XT had 17", H6 had 17", and widths varied also (6.5" up to 8.5"). Personally I would use the 16" for snow tires and get some nice OEM 17's for the rest of the year.

You are right dfoyl those were 16s not what I was looking for..Fortunately my buddy also had a set of 17s which are actually identical to the ones that came factory equipment, and are currently on the vehicle...Guess that makes this easy..

Thanks for everyone's help and input

• Like 1

don't some folks run skinnier tires in the snow? steel rims should make it easier to do that.

anyway - you guys have the experience at this, certainly not me.

Steel rims are sometimes a half inch or so narrower than the alloy option on the same car...but that's a pretty small difference. If you wanted to go crazy narrow,  you'd have to get bespoke aftermarket wheels anyway, in which case it could easily be an alloy.

My experience with rust vs corrosion : only this year did I sand and repaint the beads on my 23+ year old steelies. Our recently aquired 09 Forester had 2 leaking down faster than the worst 23yr old, and the other 2 double that. Maybe it was just the shop that put the tires on before we bought it didn't clean them right?

Anecdotal, at best. The steelies I had an issue with last year were new OEM wheels on my mom's '01 Legacy, used as dedicated snows since '09ish. We got them to reseal last  year, but they're nasty rusty. I don't think I'll try to use them again. You can find stories either way, so I consider it a wash.

• Like 1

Anecdotal, at best. The steelies I had an issue with last year were new OEM wheels on my mom's '01 Legacy, used as dedicated snows since '09ish. We got them to reseal last  year, but they're nasty rusty. I don't think I'll try to use them again. You can find stories either way, so I consider it a wash.

A google search of leaky wheels is dominated by alloy/aluminum wheel comments.

On daily drivers I've only seen aluminum wheel leaks, and I pretty much see it every year, and it's really annoying.  If I've seen a steel wheel leak I've forgotten about it.

Maybe there's other factors, environmental, geography, age of vehicles, use, storage....but around here alloy wheels leak orders of magnitude more than steel. 

They don't look great but if you're in a wintry area that's wet and messy much of the winter they're going to be dirty most of the time anyway unless you wash your frequently.