Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 outback wagon 100,000 miles slow oil leak head gasket

my 2004 outback 2.5l engine needs timing belt changed and the hoses replaced. my mechanic will replace water pump and use subaru parts. there is a slow oil leak from head gasket.  i would like to just have him do the timing belt/hose work and leave the head gasket as i read that they can just have slow oil leaks for several thousand miles..by that time i may replace the car.

the timing belt work would take a few hours and if i have the head gasket done i am without a car for a few days.

has anyone had any experience doing this? any ideas on waiting? thanks

i had the engine out and another one in in a day and driving out of the garage. i can see it being done in a days time if u find the right person shop though would probably have it a few days possibly as long as a week. my brother did my moms head gasket on her 04 outback last year and had the car for a week.

• 1 month later...

If it's a slow leak and you don't mind the smell just leave it alone. People run to 200k with oil leaks, just have to keep a closer eye on the oil level.

So one can do this? I have 2001 Outback. I got an oil change and they came back with a list of things to be done. They said the head gasket is starting to leak.

The car runs fine but there is a little bit of a smell after driving it. Is it really ok to drive it like this?

yes as long as u keep up on checking oil levels and make sure its topped off. mine leaks oil bad i have the older ej22 but the head gaskets as well as many other gaskets have been leaking oil for years since before i bought it i have to add about a quart in between oil changes witch surprises me as it leaves small oil spots everywhere i park it after every drive and sometimes can see oil smoke from oil burning off the engine when i stop. im planning to pull my engine this summer to do a bunch of gaskets and hopefully stop the leaks.