Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, thanks for all the awesome knowledge you guys are piling up here.

I just got a good deal on a 2001 Outback 4 Cyl Manual, low miles, looking good. The down side: it need timing belt work and at least a new front exhaust pipe (unweldable holes and rust...). Although he whole exhaust system could be replaced at this point, it has been 'mended' several times.

I know that I can look between (roughly) 2000-2003 Outback models for replacement parts. So my question is: can anybody tell me a more accurate range of different models to look for the 4 main parts of the full exhaust system? (specially the front pipe)

Any help is welcome!!

Edited by Juanma

I doubt that anyone on this forum will be able to answer your question. Don't think it likely that anyone has looked into this. Prolly best to stick with what you know works, the 2000-2003 Outback models.

I go to a family owned muffler shop where I live. They cut, bend, and weld into place pipes as needed. Cost is a lot less then national chain muffler shops like Midas and Car-X, where they want to replace the entire exhaust system from cat to end of tail pipe for big bucks. Maybe there is a family owned muffler shop in your area? Worth checking out.

Edit:

Ignore the circled portion in the attached from an 2000 OB (showing the kid the O2 sensors).

I believe the Fed version is the "Subaru Exhaust" and the NY version referred to by Ferret (next post) is the "OB Exh"?

Many of the Subarus share that front Y-pipe / exhaust manifold/header section..so I'd guess the '00-'04 Legacy and Outback would work...depending on which version you have.

Something to be aware of is the # of O2 sensors, as some models (?), versions (Fed vs Calif) use different setups.

And if it's rusted those O2 sensors may need replaced.

post-3804-0-56081100-1485562490_thumb.jpg

post-3804-0-48511500-1485618943_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

You must pick the RIGHT exhaust setup for your Outback. EXCLUDING the 2 different ones for the H6 model, the 2.5L H4 can have one of 3. ( Graphic Above looks like H6 due to Muffler and resonator chamber on the side of it )

First is the 48 state. Similar to what Subaru did for YEARS. Front Y pipe, dual Cats, Spring Donut, Center pipe, Muffler. The Front Y and Dual Cats here are pretty much interchangeable. When we bought our 2001 last year had to replace the Y pipe and Dual cats,  The ones I purchased fit a dozen or so Subarus from that period.

Second was NY State. This used pipes as shown in the graphic above. 2 front O2 sensors, bank 1 and bank 2, and 1 rear sensor.

Third was California, Also used pipes as in Graphic above, Different Cats due to Calif law, NOW 2 front O2 sensors, bank 1 and bank 2, and 2 rear sensors in the pipe just behind the front cats Again Bank 1 and bank 2.

I have seen ALL THREE configurations here in NJ, with used cars sold in so many states anymore, you could have ANY of these.

If you change from one exhaust type to another , you will have to replace wiring harnesses AND ECU..

Edited by ferret