Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extended warranty on new '17 Impreza - worthwhile?

in a couple of days, my son is planning on buying a new 2017 impreza premium trim w/ option 13 eyesight, Blind spot dection and rear traffic detection. the dealer will undoubtedly try to sell some kind of extended warranty; will mention how it is needed w/  all that fancy new imaging tech, I bet ( other dealers had already said this).

What is the opinion of this forum on extended warranties w/ this 100 pct US made impreza and which just opened for production two mos ago with a 95 pct redesign of the '16 version? 

Since this is not only not an incremental change over the previous design, it is a transcontinental and cultural change from japan to Lafayette , IN. There is adage to never buy the first yr of a new model yr. 95 pct change is close to that.

the bigger (implied ) question here is also...

what is the forum's opinion on the expected reliability of this new us made subie car? same as the ones made in japan?

Also, can someone tell me if there are different new car warranties for this Impreza, subarua and non subaru ? I heard of different colors like gold or something, but the sales guy does nt give any details - i must talk to  the guy 'in the back room' when we are signing on the dotted line.

any input on warranties wd be appreciated before we go to the back room.

I have owned 10 Subaru's since 1979. Most were made in Japan. 2 were not. Other than the VIN not starting with JF2 but with 4S3 , I couldn't tell the difference.

YES they were DIFFERENT venicles, but most had a version of the EA engine , many EA25's and either 5 speed or 4EAT. Still could not tell the difference.

Reliability and Dependability........ still couldn't tell the difference.

Good luck with the new 17 Impreza on the Global Platform. I feel certain you also will not see a difference in Reliability and Dependability .

• Like 1

I have owned 10 Subaru's since 1979. Most were made in Japan. 2 were not. Other than the VIN not starting with JF2 but with 4S3 , I couldn't tell the difference.

YES they were DIFFERENT venicles, but most had a version of the EA engine , many EA25's and either 5 speed or 4EAT. Still could not tell the difference.

Reliability and Dependability........ still couldn't tell the difference.

Good luck with the new 17 Impreza on the Global Platform. I feel certain you also will not see a difference in Reliability and Dependability .

thanks. Did you ever get extended warranties to hedge ? this year it is the first yr for a DI engine for one thing.

Can someone clarify whether one can buy a genuine sube warranty for a new sube from another dealer at some time different than when you buy the car? how wd one go about and do this? call any dealer and ask to buy a gold plus warranty?

I never purchase an extended warranty, and if I did never needed it.

You have PLENTY of time to even think about it, You don't need to do it at purchase time, but anytime during the normal warranty and sometimes beyond. I still receive notices from Subaru to purchase an extended warranty on MY14 Impreza which turned 3 on Jan 2, 2017 and 62K miles.

As far as the DI engine, the BRZ has had that on the FA20 engine from the beginning. And the Turbo FB20 also. So this is not new to Subaru.

MY90 and 96 Legacy wagons were both built in Japan. MY01 Outback ( bought last year for daughter ) and the 04 legacy I owned for a short time were Lafayette built,  This is what I refer to when I said I could NOT tell the difference build or quality wise from either plant of manufacture,

The idea that the car is 95% different is ambiguous. the engine and transmission have been around awhile. axles, knuckles, struts, suspension are usually the same or minor tweaks.

For example - you'd think multi generations after the initial 1993 impreza they would be radically different - but 1993 imprezas can use struts up to 2007 (maybe later) and you can install 2014 brake calipers (maybe later as well) on that 1993 rust bucket. so you've got a new big chunk of metal is sitting on and being driven by *yawn*, the same old stuff. aesthetics are rarely warranty points and electronics are constantly changing.

Let's look at how well the "first model year" idea would have protected someone in the past?

Major issues in the past few decades: headgaskets....oil consumption....delayed engagement into drive...they were all first "engine/transmission" or phase issues, not to be confused with first model year. so the "first model year" approach would have been worthless for the past 3 decades or more.

Subaru doesn't marry first model year with first year of mechanicals - the things that actually cause warranty/reliability issues. EJ25 came out second model year, Phase II mechanicals rolled into the last year of a generation...etc.

That said - one could find a few glitches along the way - but they're minor and it would be hard to tell if they favor first year models.

As to the warranty, it's insurance. you're not likely to use it - but how bad off will you be (financially, time, emotionally, vehicles, job). As a generality (which are always inherently idivdually inaccurate), it probably makes sense for a lot of new car consumers. Given the cost of a new car, maintenance, resale value after 100,000 miles - it's not a lot of money.

Much depends on your personality, how well you communicate, your capacity to navigate future situations, whether you get really perturbed by outlier situations, or just walk through it with grace.

for example, if you're too busy to navigate any issues,warranty may make more sense. If you're the anecdotal type to end up saying things like "I'm never buying from company X, Y, Z again" - because of one experience - the warranty may make more sense to insulate you. if you're not sure, ask your co-workers, relatives, neighbors, people you communicate with frequently, they'll know.

Edited by grossgary

First of all, do know that before you wind up sitting at the finance office where they then try to encourage you to purchase, rust modules, rust proofing, fabric protection, paint protection, oil changes, extended warranties, etc, you should negotiate them before hand into the deal. Dealerships make a ton of money from these "after negotiated price of the car" items.

If you want the extended warranty, negotiate that into your final offer...I got a $3400 extended 4 year buy-back warranty for $1800. Everything is negotiable, including warranties.

No one can tell you whether you will need an extended warranty, but if you negotiate it into a reasonable price, then I say it's worth it because I've seen many who have needed it, and especially on cars where the warranty is a 3/5 year.

• Like 1

Also, at least in Canada, you can buy after market warranties from companies after purchase, but you'll wind up paying premium price. I imagine in the states you can do that too. Problem is that you'll have no room for negotiation as you would at car purchase time.

• Like 1

Purchased a 2017 Impreza Sport myself just this week.  A custom build in the sense that they didn't have what I wanted on the lot, so waited 6+ weeks for the car to arrive.  So it's here and ran into the same financial offers.  Typically I have had good luck with fabric, undercoating, and paint protection.  But I find it depends on the dealer and if it's inhouse or they farm out the process.  Seems like the dealers are trying to keep most of the activity inhouse (lately).

As a VW Golf TDI owner but now a Subie owner, found it odd that not all manufactures are doing oil changes at 10,000 miles.  Subaru has this weird number of 6,000 between changes with synthetic.  And when asked about the cost of the oil changes, it was something like $89.95 ($96 w/tax).  Which is crazy.  I spend about $100 for the diesel every 10,000 miles, and now faced with every 6k miles for the same money.  Also, the finance guy pitched $110 per oil change when talking about the maintenance plan that they offer for $650 (12 oil changes / tire rotation / 10 car washes).  Now this guy was not honest and will call him on it when I pick my car up.  Bought the plan, but only because it's good for 5 years (refundable) and figured it would save me money.  But instead of 6k miles, the plan calls for 5k oil changes.  Sounds messed up.  Never any issues like this with VW.

So we proceed to talk about the other plans, my focus again .. fabric, paint w/undercoat, oh and window tint.  The tinting was reasonable, about $290. Have been happy with the process for all my cars (from the past, VW, Mazda, Dodge, etc).  Fabric protection, yah, the kids are grown, but the grandkids, though getting older are still kids. ;-).  Paint protection - have intentionally left bird droppings bake in the summer heat for months, and no issues. Dropping came off, no spots on my silver or white cars.  Hand wash only so rarely do you find swirls in the paint, even on my black mazda.  Undercoating is a tough call.  In the midwest, they don't seem to plow anymore. They just lay down this brine and that can't be good for any surface.  Haven't had a car rust out and generally keep'm for at least 10 years or more.  Had the Mazda for 16 years but finally started to show some rust issues in the 14th year.  So for $1100, almost a good deal.  Bought the car for $2000 under MSRP, so gave some of it back (I guess).

Extended warranty/warranties:  What? No confidence in their product?  Bought the extended for the VW diesel only because it was my first diesel vehicle and wasn't sure what to expect.  Didn't use any of the $1800 that was spent.  Ouch but then again.. good!? Right?  Now Subaru or the dealer had the Gold as well but on top of that, the dealer had a Platinum Plan. Not mentioned on the Subaru site.  Started at $2700+ and eventually went to $1700 after repeated "no thank you" from me .. Hopefully not rolling the dice on this $25k car that I just bought.  But I have at least 2-3 years before the warranty runs out.  At 15k-20k miles per year, guess I'll know whether a VW GTI is in my future.

Last topic: Luxcare Windshield Protection -- another one of those products that I have never heard of and can't find information on.  Purchased NEW cars since the late 80's (1980's ;-) ) and never once have I seen this type of product offered.  They claim with Eye Sight, the windshield could cost $1000. What kind of bullsh*t is that?  At the auto show last month, many manufactures have what appears to be forward collision systems.  It's a product that sits in the center of the windshield and all manufactures, except Subaru and maybe VW, are using a similar system.  They offered this windshield hardening product saying it helps to reduce chips/cracks.  The last 2 cars I have had, within the first week (yup less than 7 days) of purchase, both - stone to the windshield - big chip - but sealed them long before a crack developed and 5-10 years later -- the fix for the chip still holding and not further issues.  This is NEW car #3 in the last 18+ years, so do I add another $499 to the bill?  Need to make that decision by Friday.

We'll first post.. first time on this discussion group .. looking forward to getting out to Subaru events (if not in Colorado, somewhere in the US).

Edited by midwestSubie
  • Like 1

I can't add much RE: new cars, I don't buy new. 

But In general, from using logic and general financial advise, extended warranties are profit centers for dealers.  They know the car isn't likely to have failures that are covered in the warranty period, and or expect the average buyer to sell the car before the warranty used up.

• Like 2

Congratulations on your Subaru purchase.

First of all, companies such as WV and BMW and others have this "yearly" or later oil change mentality to sell cars. These companies either provide the "full maintenance" service included in the sale of these cars for 3-4 years (and they want to decrease their cost), or they try to compete saying more frequent oil changes aren't needed. When you buy a new car you have a new perfect engine...these cars will survive most likely the duration of the factory warranty therefore, but those cars won't last too long afterwards with infrequent oil changes...what do these companies care if it costs them nothing afterwards???.

Do not ever go 10,000 miles on any car for an oil change if you care for your car and want to keep it. .

Edited by coryl
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK we bought 2012 2.5 NA Forester in jan 15-salesman told us they would include GOLD 100K/7 year from orig delivery in Nov 11 with vehicle, reviewed in detail the coverage brochure - at closing the wanted to charge us $1xxx-told them no deal, called in salesman and we reviewed the brochure and the detail of what he told us-he clearly FU'd and they called in sales mgr and after an hour and a half behind closed doors they emerged to tell the closing clerks they would honor the commitment to zero charge but there was an odor of roasted flesh throughout the dealership. probably didn't hurt it was Saturday the last day of the month.

Used once so far, independent shop found front struts were leaking during tire rotation, offered to replace for 500 some dollars....took back to selling dealer and replaced for 100 deductible and 100 for an alignment. So has paid for itself for my cost

The other thing to consider is you must keep  maintained up to factory schedule to keep warranty in effect-for us the 7500 mi interval for cabin air filer seems ludicrous, the filters are almost pristine when I change them. Also the fuel filter at 60K that 2 dealership says don't exist, we replaced the sock on the intake of the fuel pump assyas it was the only possible thing we could find before calling the dealerships

I would say that the warranty offered by the dealers may not be the lowest price or best one.

Before I buy anything, I always get the name of the product and do a lot of research online. When I bought my 2014 Outbackm, the salesman tried to pressure me into buying a six year warranty  for $2100 and made it sound like it was a once-in-a-lifetime  deal from the Only Real Warranty Company in the Known Universe. Of course, the only thing I really knew about it was that he would get a chunk of commission from that $2100. So I declined, I even had to sign a sheet of paper showing that I declined. I guess he had to show that to the Boss.

Within a week, I got five offers in the mail from companies that wanted to sound like they were perhaps the manufacturer. I researched them all, and every company had bad reports. But there are reputable companies, it is just a matter of locating them. if that is what you want.

So, don't allow yourself to be pressured and research everything carefully. One thing is certain: there are a lot of scammers out there. Check out the Rip Off Report and of course CU (Consumers Union).

Edited by Xavier_ONassis

I have always found Subaru to be reliable.  I never really felt the need for an extended warranty.  Although most are now manufactured here in the US and the idea of "transition change" from JP to US floating around, remember that OEMs have very strict requirements on manufacturing.  That's not to say that a defect may slip through the crack. But it's a low chance.  In my opinion, I wouldn't budge on the extended warranty.  It's just giving your money away. 

• 3 weeks later...

What exactly is in their "gold plan"? As mentioned, I negotiated an ultimate full coverage which covered every component on that car (there would be no extra cost for anything) for an additional 4 years for $1800 Canadian with buy back which was all back minus $400 if warranty was unused after the 4 years...also there was no deductible. I negotiated that at car sale on my Subaru 2.5i and I purchased it because I was buying a 2 year old used car.

Shortly after my after market warranty expired, I was told my head gasket was leaking...because my aftermarket warranty had just expired, and I had perfect maintenance, Subaru Canada and my dealership fully covered that cost...they didn't have to. I'm so not against extended warranties therefore. You really have to decide if you can afford a major fix down the line if you plan to keep the car for years after the basic (and IMO crap) 3/5 year warranty. That said, negotiate the warranty to as low as you can, because most don't need them, but those who do, are so happy if they have and then need the warranty...if it's at a good price, to me, it's peace of mind. I love my Subaru, I love my dealership, I love Subaru Canada, but I do not like Subarus basic warranty...it's bad IMO.