Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blown axle and no tools...AKA as if I needed a reminder why I avoid aftermarket axles

Installed an aftermarket axle that someone had in January...I don't do this often but sometimes they're just available and why not, they can't all fail, right?

50 miles later on the interstate the axle blew out of the CV cup.

No jack and very few tools - luckily I had a knife and screwdriver.

Drove up on curb - with the broken joint it couldn't push the car onto the curb so I used the spare as a ramp.

Cut inner joint and popped the circlip out, pulled it apart insitu on the trans.

Got it locked in 4WD.

Finished the 120 mile round trip in RWD.

I had been given two new axles, I tossed the other brand new one in the scrap pile, it was a different brand but it's not worth my time.

Never had an OEM or FWE failure, although that's what i use on lifted subarus and used to drive them 50,000 miles with cracked boots and noisy joints.

post-3989-0-86627500-1486136476_thumb.jpg

post-3989-0-37166000-1486136480_thumb.jpg

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

Wow dude, be happy you didn't wreck. That could have been way worse. Regarding axles, sometimes cheaper isn't better. Some things are totally worth the money,,,,good shoes, good tires, and good parts. Glad you are okay.

I got lucky or maybe it separated and just rotated inside the CV on the interstate but not until I took some sharp turns off the exit ramp did it give enough room to pull completely out of the joint and then flop around, by that time at slow speeds.  But yeah - if it pulled out on the interstate i imagine that would maybe be ugly those axles are heavy to be flopping around with all that length/leverage too.

I haven't bought an aftermarket axle in over 10 years and routinely post and coach people to avoid them.  Not only for risk aversion - but also it's unfortunate that most people are supporting this awful supply of craptastic axles

I'm running aftermarket lifetime axles on my Subaru and they blow. The other day on the freeway my axle felt like It seized and it jerked my steering hard to the right. Every other week they break but oh well they are lifetime warranty. Someone needs to make a better axle that doesn't blow up!!

I've found that the after market axle makers skimp on the greese I've gotten a few with no greese at all I even sent pictures to the manufacturer and orealys that sold them I don't think anything was done about it lol but if you greese them your self they last a lot longer I was getting about 3 months out of my axles till I figured out they needed more greese the I got 2 years out of one and the other is still going I'm now trying the HD axles maybe they will be better