Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some feedback on what to do with my 05 Legacy sedan. It's not the limited model but does have a rear spoiler so I'm not even sure what package it has.

I bought the car in 2013 with 92k miles on it and did the gaskets at 105k for 3 grand in 2014, and last August blew the engine which I repaired for 4.5k. I've had so many problems with the thing and want to sell it with 127k miles on it currently. I'm in Colorado and it does do a great job in the snow, so at least subarus are hot here.

There's still some work that needs to be done. The steering wheel shakes a lot when exiting highways and braking(rotors I assume for another 600 bucks), the tint on the back window is bubbling, drives side window switch broken but functional, climate control knobs never set properly from the last mechanic and won't pop into place. The windshield is also cracked at the bottom but is hardly noticeable.

With that being said, should I sell the thing as is, and what do you think I can get for it? Should I make any of the repairs to not see a return? I've just had so many problems with this thing and want a more reliable vehicle.

Thanks for all your help.

Wow, that's a terrible experience. 

I'd repair the rotors and sell it right now as-is.  The rotors should not cost $600. 

Find a place that will *just turn the front rotors*.  I can guarantee that will fix the issues. Done it zillions of times, classic Subaru. 

I'd drop them off at a local place that turns rotors and have it fixed for $40. 

If you're paying labor - then add another 1 hour....or 2 if they're really expensive/big charging shop.

So $300 tops.

Ideally you replace the pad clips (cheap on rockauto) and grease the slide pins with Sil-Glyde (or other high quality grease) and throw the pin bushings away (in case prior shops used regular brake grease - it swells the pads.  Those things are pennies and take no time - so shouldn't cost much, but if you're just dumping it, then honestly it's not probably worth it because most shops aren't even that thorough. 

contact this guy:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/9-out-west/286490-tdck-s-redneck-denver-repair-facility.html

• Like 1

Wow, that's a terrible experience.

I'd repair the rotors and sell it right now as-is. The rotors should not cost $600.

Find a place that will *just turn the front rotors*. I can guarantee that will fix the issues. Done it zillions of times, classic Subaru.

I'd drop them off at a local place that turns rotors and have it fixed for $40.

If you're paying labor - then add another 1 hour....or 2 if they're really expensive/big charging shop.

So $300 tops.

Ideally you replace the pad clips (cheap on rockauto) and grease the slide pins with Sil-Glyde (or other high quality grease) and throw the pin bushings away (in case prior shops used regular brake grease - it swells the pads. Those things are pennies and take no time - so shouldn't cost much, but if you're just dumping it, then honestly it's not probably worth it because most shops aren't even that thorough.

contact this guy:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/9-out-west/286490-tdck-s-redneck-denver-repair-facility.html

Thanks a ton for the insight. I'm not terribly knowledgeable in this area so saving me from a 600 dollar fix is very much appreciated. Do you guys think I could get 5 for the car? Does a rebuilt engine(still has 7 months on its year warranty from the mechanic) take away from the value?

Sure thing  - i'd love to see you come out of this with as little drama as possible after all that.  Well done having a level head after all that. 

You might consider finding a better shop - $3k should have landed you in a long term reliable vehicle.  Mistakes happen, but again you might want to review.  Maybe even ask here about that repair and if maybe the right steps were taken. 

If the engine has new timing gear and is truly "rebuilt" by a reputable company - then that is absolutely a selling point.  You'll chase away a percentage of people, but there's also people that will pay premium for the new headgaskets. 
There's plenty of people looking for that exact vehicle - 10 year old Subaru with new headgaskets.

*** Can you tell us who did the rebuild?  Were the heads resurfaced and which brand head gaskets were used?  Those could all be huge sellnig points. 

That's like a $7,000 vehicle...I wouldn't take a dime less than $5k and it should sell really quick, I would list it closer to $6k, like $5,800 myself...depending on other conditions I'm unaware of i guess....windshield and buttons are a mark against it of course.  But in some sense they're minor and known.  Most 10+ year old car buyers looking at private owner vehicles want practical, reliable, not show room perfect though that helps greatly as well. 

List it and sell it immediately, it's raining gold - taxes, snow, and denver. 

Just took a look at the invoice, it's the OEM 10105aa790 set and the x13028aa21bk timing belt kit. The labor included replacement of the rings, main and rod bearings, cams, crank and timing components. Resurfaced the heads and block cases, grind/polish crank, bore/hone cylinders. Should I list it was 3k miles on the vehicle or the 127k indicating it's a rebuilt engine?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

I'd list it with 127,000 with a rebuilt engine from XYZ, including all new parts from Subaru. 

It has a complete timing kit - belt, all the pulleys, and tensioner. 

Head gaskets not only replaced but with Subaru gaskets and the heads were resurfaced.

Call the shop, or look at your paper work, and ask if the remaining warranty is still valid if you sell the car. 

I would wait for a buyer that wants that car and encourage people to go look at every other Subaru in town, as you're waiting for a buyer that wants a Subaru with top notch headgasket and timing belt maintenance. I used to do that all the time and it commands a higher price *and* reduces the number of people that come look at that car which is a huge help to me.  I dont' want to be talking to and test driving.  When I was doing it more often I would usually sell the car to the first person who looked at it.  But I wasn't scared to email/text and tell people to go look at other subarus, i'm not negotiating much, there's plenty of other average Subarus out there with far more unknowns and questionable headgaskets/timing belt jobs.  The higher price was nice but the fewer test drives and tire kickers was a huge positive as well.  You've got a car - during tax and snow season in the most competitive Subaru market in the country - you should be able to do something similar. 

While you have a *brand new* engine in that car, I'm pretty disappointed to see a Subaru shop do a complete rebuild rather than source a ZERO MILE shortblock (which is around $2k from Subaru). Worst case, a low-mile JDM unit usually runs around $1100. They can still charge labor for the swap, but I imagine they did not disassemble, machine and reassemble that engine for free. Shame.

Anyway, you can have the rotors turned (usually) to save some cash, but I would get another few options on brake service before dropping $600 on a single axle service.

As stated above, fix the brakes, clean it up, and sell baby sell since this is the best time to do it.

But, you have already done the most expensive work that car will see, assuming you keep up on the maintenance on time. Suspension work will be on the horizon @ 127K and keep it clean to fight off the rust, and you could keep rolling to 200k without many problems.