Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Full subframe,suspension & steering swap questions

GreaseMonkey03

Hello all. New member, hopefully new question. Cant seem to find the answers I need.

I have a 97 legacy outback with a manual transmission. Everything under the unibody is severely corroded. The shell itself is in great shape (relatively) This is the car I'm keeping.

My co worker's 03 forester AT just grenaded its motor, so its getting scrapped. Everything under that car is mint. I don't want this car, I like my OB TYVM. So here's the question....

I'd like to swap everything over. Everything that will swap, i'll mix and match as needed. But basically everything from the crossmembers out. control arms, axles, knuckles, brakes, the whole kit. front and rear. A strut/body lift may happen at the same time but possibly not until later in the game. so lets assume for now its stock height only.

I have noticed a few small differences between parts from one to the other, but nothing that seems to interfere, especially since its getting swapped as a whole both front and rear. The basic architecture is the same. I believe the 03 forester does not use stub axles up front but I can just get 02 axles instead. 

Both are EJ25 with mine being a DOHC. I cant see any major hurdles with this swap and it seems straight forward, but does anyone know of any MAJOR issues that would cause me to hit the wall? Small issues are not a concern, its an ongoing project but if you know of any tips that would be awesome.

I'm a mechanic by trade so difficulty or labor costs are not a factor.  I work on a lot of subarus, I Just don't know individual component specs or interchange and the minor differences prevent interchange software from being of any use to me. I am running out of time to pull the trigger on the forester before I lose it and if I can get at least a half a go ahead that it will mostly swap over, i'll get this done in a day. (I have to put the OB running under the fozz to keep it mobile) Thanks in advance for any info.

Lou

Edited by GreaseMonkey03

Yea, should all work.

Obviously engine, transmission, driveshaft, possibly rear diff, won't be of any use to you, but suspension and brakes-wise, yea. I think it all should be the same.

Off the top of my head, it is very close to the front axle change, as you've mentioned, so you'll have to grab axles with female inners. There are a couple different configurations of rear axles, too, but I think you should be good there. There have also been many variations in ABS wheel speed sensors over the years, but I think as long as you have matching sensors and tone wheels, you should be good.

The front rotors will likely be the same size, mid '03 was a changeover in pad style.

Depending on the trim of the Forester. It might have rear drum brakes, and not have a rear sway bar. There are ways around this, too, but involves either reusing more parts from your Outback, or buying more parts.

Right about the abs for sure. I'm not overly concerned with it, but the forester should have press in bearings so both cars most likely have the tone ring that bolts to the inside of the hub.

Rear diff has different gearing from what I understand. Initially was gonna keep as a spare but will probably get rid of it. I wasn't planning on transferring any of the drivetrain components. It's definitely getting a new clutch while I'm at it though and possibly some upgraded mounts and shift linkages. That might have to be part of phase two. I'm limited in time as far as use of my shop after hours.

The rear on the forester is definitely drums. I'll work my way around that, even if I have to block off the rear lines for now until I have it sorted. I'd prefer to keep rotors out back especially with any concerns that might come up with proportioning.

Once its drive able, then I'll worry about the small details.