Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do you use to flat tow?

I've read a lot of forums on flat towing a 90 manual legacy. So please don't say "search the forum"

What nobody had said is how they tow. The tow vehicle is a Ford 150 w/351 cu. No problem there. But is a tow bar used? Where do you attach? Its not like the bumper is a tow point.

The dealer said the hook points underneath are for strapping the car to a flatbed, and not a tow point.

I have a 300 mile trip to take over a mountain pass. So it has to be a robust system.

Thoughts? Comments?

• Like 1

I've done a bit of flat towing. This make it 2500 miles:

gallery_4164_16_1360569527_78.jpg

I welded tabs onto the factory bumper beam for the tow bar to hook into. Then ran safety chains from my truck, across the tow bar, and anchored to the tow loops on the subaru just in case something did come apart.

gallery_4164_16_1360569530_79.jpg

I backfed the subaru's front turn signal wiring from the trailer lights plug on my truck. That gave rear turn and stop signals. And I backfed a front parking light bulb for running lights. Easiest is to just pick up a pair of magnetic base trailer lights from harbor freight for like $15.

I towed an antique VW across the country too, that one I built a pipe bumper to weld tabs to because the stock chrome one was flimsy.

• 1 year later...

I've done similar to what woodswagon has done.  I like the idea of backfeeding the lights on the car being towed, might have to do that eventually.  We've always used the HF magnetic tow lights.  The problem with those is that the wiring is very weak, each conductor has about four strands and they break easily.  I just rewired it with some new four color trailer wire and put a new four pin end on it.  I've also used a coiled trailer wire connector, takes stress off the wires while turning.

https://www.amazon.com/Wesbar-787206-5-Flat-Coiled-Adapter/dp/B007V4XME4/

We are usually towing one Subaru with another so this helps keep things in line:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cht-17200

The bumper beam on a legacy will probably not be strong enough by itself to attach a tow bar. I would weld on a few 3/16" reinforcement plates that spread the load out from the attachment brackets.

I think the stock bumper beam on my 99 Legacy Outback was plastic/fiberglass, so definitely not safe for flat towing.  Should have clarified, on the Subarus we've flat towed we have a tube under the radiator support and oil pan that attaches to the tow hook mounts and front crossmember.  That's what we tow with.  Running safety chains around something else in addition is a must.

• Like 1

Been flat-towing soobs for over 35 years, and always used a towbar with big pins, or bolts, through the tie-down eyes. "Only for tying down" is, of course, lawyer talk. Hauled dozens this way, with no issues. I do loop a safety chain over the front crossmember, for worse case scenario.

There were some mid 90s models that were recalled and the dealers cut the front tie hooks off. Don't remember exactly which years, but I've seen a few cars where the front hooks are gone. It's not a guaranteed thing that they're gone, but not guaranteed they'll be on the car either.

There were some mid 90s models that were recalled and the dealers cut the front tie hooks off. Don't remember exactly which years, but I've seen a few cars where the front hooks are gone. It's not a guaranteed thing that they're gone, but not guaranteed they'll be on the car either.

Interesting.  Those tow hooks are tough, we've pulled cars out of the mud with them many times with some hard yanks and they hold up well.