Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all. 1985 Gl wagons here

Been looking for days on end at the pages that pop up under my search engine. I decided to build me a wagon because you don't see many around where I just got relocated to. Northern California.... I design suspension for a loft kit company and thought I'd would do something fun with a wagon after watching what they will do on you tube channels. Got me hooked. I have an H6 2.7 liter going in my builder. Already stripped her clean and am designing a frame to set the motor back over axle center line. I will be doing front and rear diffs with a transfer case. I have used the search feature here to look, but most of the time can't find anything on the subject of a t case mod that shows pictures of the t case and front diff. If anyone can direct me to these pages I would be grateful. I plan on running the rear end out of my parts wagon (picked up two 85 gl wagons for $400, one for parts and one that was complete. Both the same exact red, only the complete car is a gl10 so I have power options.) I will be building a full backbone style frame to hold my long travel suspension setup. The plan is to make a capable over lander / camping car with gear and a roof top tent.

It will be rolling on a set of 33 x 10.5 tires and old school solid centerlines from an 80's model Toyota Tacoma. Brakes will be rotors and calipers from Tacoma line, but everything thing else suspension will be custom made for it. The radiator will be mounted above the motor and trans and ducted out to the sides of the trans. Air will come in through a hood scoop. Which tray will sit where the radiator once stood. Winch will be removable and a hook up in the tail of the car as well. For when I need to pull my buddies in their jeeps out. Lol. Will be a flat bottom car,so everything will be tucked up high so the rockers are the lowest part of the car. The control arms will be high clearance lowers. I plan on making my own CV shafts using 930 cups (buggy style).

My main concern is with the rotation of the t case and the front diff being from the rear spinning backwards. I would love to see pictures of anyone who did the t case mod and if you are running the front diff upside down to get it to spin the correct direction. Or if the t case you use sound the front drive shaft opposition the rear. I have a full fab shop here, so modifications to what ever I want is not an issue. I am also looking to spool both the diffs and have a warn style hub locker at each CV axle that I can control from inside the car. I will be able to transfer all power to individual wheels this way. I can make it right front, left front, right rear, left rear, rear wheel drive or front wheel drive options. And of course a full locked 4wd.

Thanks for the time and any information regarding the t case mod.

Mike, aka long travel.

• Like 1