Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4x140 - 5x100 Wheel Adapters

Here is a good example made by another user of how they should come out. That lip is super important, it'll center the adapter to your hubs correctly and should aid in the power transfer as stated before.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/137844-matts-gl-sedan/

I considered making a set for my BRAT project but ended up with a set of pug's from a friend. I've built a few sets of motorcycle wheel adapters to allow the use of modern front suspension on vintage bikes. There isn't anything too hard about it, just measure everything really well and plan your operations out. If you build jigs for set up it makes it go waaaay faster the second or third time around. 

Actually I took as info from that post as I could for my friend who has the mill so I can show him what they need to be. We are also going to purchase a Digital Read out Turn Table so we can go from centerline and then just rotate the table. You basically need it and can be dead on to the thousands. The table is like $1000 but I told him I would go halves with him and then we can make more plus other things.  :D  :rolleyes:

So have been researching and have to ask, especially the ones that have changed the lug pattern;

It seems like the best and economic solution is just do a re-drill of the hub. Cheaper and you don't put any added stress on the hub bearings. 

So my question is, what are the advantages, disadvantages of the 6 lug to the 5 lug? Is it just that you can do a brake upgrade????

Comments please..

So have been researching and have to ask, especially the ones that have changed the lug pattern;

It seems like the best and economic solution is just do a re-drill of the hub. Cheaper and you don't put any added stress on the hub bearings. 

So my question is, what are the advantages, disadvantages of the 6 lug to the 5 lug? Is it just that you can do a brake upgrade????

Comments please..

I redrill in different 4 bolt patterns as the hubs are engineered for a 4 bolt pattern,

the rear has strong ribs at a 4 bolt pattern, the fronts have a 4 bolt pattern

securing the disc brake which conflict with a 5 bolt pattern, so I don't try the

5 bolt patterns for those reasons

Dfoyl, the rear hubs on a 2wd are similar to the front hubs on a RWD or like a trailer hub. There's no spline & the hub simply sits on bearings. Should be cheaper to make than a 4wd rear hub except that you've got to get the tapering correct.

I think I've got some FWD Vortex rear hubs at home.

So I talked to my friend tonight who has the mill and he got all excited and said he made things like this in the 80's. So I, or we, are going to start pricing things out and see what materials and things are going to cost. At any rate, you can be sure that we will be making some to play with. My friend even mentioned that he has a friend that is an engineer and could get us an engineered stamp of approval. So I will keep you guys filled in. I know some of you are watching this thread. I will let you know.  :brow:

Theres a set of addaptors on the gl10 in my storage lot i run he payed $500 for the set they have been on that rig for a while he got them off of ebay so there out there he has like 5 extra sets of ej rims with brand new tires thats why he went the 5 lug route personaly i just drill my rims nothing against spacers they have been around for ever and when instaled right they hold up fine most failures are instilation error as long as your hardwere is good they work just fine as for the wheel bearin issue i have 30" tires sticking out about 3 inches on each side of my car covered by tube fenders but my point is after abusing my loyale with huge off set rims big tires wheelin daily drivin salt water dunkin sand running mud rocks my wheel bearings are still good a extra inch isent going to blow your bearings probably wont even shorten the life span thenonly time i evey replaced a bearin was because the hub failed and the bearin siesed on the axle shaft and couldent be removed in one piece

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Nope. Nothing yet. The guy is pretty busy. Scott @ SJR already has everything figured out. I was going to contact him. My guy needed a digital turn table to be able to drill exactly where needed and I was even going to pay for half. I may try to give the whole thing a push again and I will let you know. 

• 3 years later...