Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ and Dual range clutch selection

Rallyru

I recently swapped an ej25d and 5 speed dual range into my '80 Gl wagon and now im having very mild clutch slip problems. It seems using an ea82 clutch kit just doesn't cut it for the ej25. Even though the kit I got was supposedly a step above stock. I have read multiple times to use the xt6 pressure plate, but I seem to recall that they don't make those PP's any more and that any xt6 clutch kit you can find nowadays uses the ea82 PP. Has anybody had any luck using aftermarket performance clutches? One of the only ones I have found is SPEC but they don't list power capability just "Stages" for their kits. Any clutch reviews or suggestions are very much appreciated. Here is a pic of the 5 speed next to the old 4 speed because threads without pics are boring haha.

image_zps8yqkfugz.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I'm about 3 months late on this and the issue may be resolved but here's what I know.  Check your clutch cable adjustment, maybe it's too tight and isn't disengaging the clutch all the way. For the Pressure plate, the XT6 and EA82 PP are the same. The extra clamping force you're looking for comes from having the step on the flywheel machined to .815 which is the XT6 spec. This is what I did for my clutch, we'll see if it works out when I finish my swap.