Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Outback Oil Leak - Top passenger side

I have a 2007 Outback that has oil leaking from the top passenger-side of the engine.  Any ideas what would be causing this and if it's doable to fix it in the driveway or should it be done by a proper shop?

It seems like it's leaking out the top somewhere on the passenger side.  I took some pictures that will hopefully help.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/137672956@N07/C568h2

Thanks to both of you.  I looked (and tried to get it in the pictures); the AVLS switches are white and on either side of the engine, I believe, and neither are leaking.

If it were the power steering pump, it would be power steering fluid, right?  It is oil that is leaking, for sure.

That pretty much leaves the head gaskets. It's not at all unusual though it's usually not from the pressure gallery like that.

If it's really from the gallery I would highly suspect a botched head gasket job in the past. The bolts can be tricky. We see a lot of them galled or stripped and insufficiently torqued due to creaking, etc.

GD

The only time I've seen this is from a stripped head bolt. We had a car come in that had HG's done by a shady used car dealer and one of the head bolt holes stripped out and oil started pouring from the pressure gallery like that. 

It's not a simple repair at that point. The head bolt threads are deep in the block and an oddball size so you need special tools to do it. I had to have my set made by a machinist friend.

GD