Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump reseal / no pressure

Just did a reseal on a ea82 ,  now I have no oil pressure .  there is oil volume .  I took out the sending unit  and ran it for a couple of seconds .  oil everywhere  .  I have done several  of these  with no problem .  is there  a pressure relief  check ball that may have fallen out ? 

Edited by ivantruckman

Good test on on the sending unit to make sure stuff is moving.  

Is the pressure low or the gauge low - those aren't always the same thing?

What was it before the job?  

The gauges are notoriously inaccurate, even FSM's mention how low the pressure reads. 

Check sender and/or gauge.

I have seen the oil pump ball/spring valves fail before - the little metal ridge that holds the ball/spring in place just breaks and the ball and spring can come out. I'm not sure what symptoms that causes, I've just seen it before. 

30 seconds isn't long enough to get everything re primed.

What I usually do is check a socket adapter in a drill, with a 12mm and use it to turn the oil pump for a while after installing it, but before putting on the timing belt.

i've seen HLA's take a long time - like 15 minutes or so to quiet down before, so I wouldn't use that as a definitive symptom of any oil pump issues. 

have you tried an actual pressure gauge to see what's it's actually doing rather than rely on the stock sender, wiring, and cluster which are commonly problematic?

you can click on nearly any of these threads and see how common "low oil pressure readings" are, they rarely end up being actual issues:

https://www.google.com/search?q=subaru+low+oil+pressure+EA82+site:www.ultimatesubaru.org&espv=2&biw=1164&bih=790&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC7_-3nbjSAhXHOyYKHTp7CfQQrQIIJigEMAA

My next step is to use a test gauge   to verify the oil pressure .  I was just paranoid  and didn't want to do any damage

im sure I am over thinking it.   it did seem to shoot out a lot of oil from the sending unit  hole

Edited by ivantruckman

It should not take long to quiet the lifters.  Under a minute is my guess unless you have a history of noisy lifters.  Doesn't hurt to be cautious.  I would check with another gauge and be sure.  The sending units do fail so that could be a likely cause.

Just did a reseal on a ea82 ,  now I have no oil pressure .  there is oil volume .  I took out the sending unit  and ran it for a couple of seconds .  oil everywhere  .  I have done several  of these  with no problem .  is there  a pressure relief  check ball that may have fallen out ? 

Just consider the splashed oil extra rust protection.

• Like 1

So just curious guys, running an aftermarket oil gauge would give you a better reading??? than the stock gauge in our clusters?

I had/still have an after market, but it's disconnected.. it wigged out and died, a couple months later either broke the needle or the sending unit after putting Risoline in the oil, so don't you Risoline, then again I had massive oil leaking at the time too... Edited by Len Dawg