Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Guys, Just bought my first car a 1999 Subaru Legacy its a nice clean car with only 44,000 miles.

Here is the problem The car has had a engine swap 2.5 out 2.2 in, not sure of the year of this engine but it does have a ignition coil with female ends and the exhaust looks like it is ported for each cylinder. My guess is the engine is a 1996 EJ22. The problem is I can not get it to pass emissions. I have no CEL on. The car has never shown a CEL except

when the car is started then it clears like it should. When I plug in the scan tool I get a P0403 (EGR flow circuit malfunction) and a P0303 (Cly #3 miss fire.) Also under my IM monitors I have (3) systems not ready, Evaporative system, Catalyst and Exhaust gas rec not ready. The ECM in the car is a   22611 AD698 is this the correct ECM for the new engine? or could this be the original from Subaru for the 1999 Legacy.

Any Help will Help

Thanks Josh

Edited by jkast

Have you already tried to reset it even though the light isn't on?

Do you have live data on your scanner to check for a misfire? Not sure if that info is available for that engine.

Could also be pending codes that haven't kicked the light on yet.

As far as it being the correct ecu, I'd have to assume that if it wasn't you'd have a whole host of issues going on.

The ECUs would be the same. No problem there.

Likely you're chasing two small issues.

Is the current motor EGR equipped? Drivers side rear of the intake manifold, or post a pic of the motor and I can tell you. If not then you'll need to find a 2.2 EGR equipped manifold and install a work around hose to be rid of that code.

Cylinder misfire can be simple as a spark plug or plug wire. How fresh are they?

ALL 19996 - 1999 Legacy 2.5's were the EJ25D, and had EGR.

That ECU should end in the letter 'B' not # 8....should also be labeled  # 84 - see attached.>>>it's a 1999 EJ25 ECU and should run ANY '95-'98 EJ22...but it's looking for EGR. 

If you don't have EGR on whatever you have in there, you MUST add it. Only way I've seen that works is to install a '95-'98 EJ22 IM - EJ25 DOHC won't fit - w/the EGR. You do NOT need to add the port to the head. DO THIS MOD. All EJ22 w/Automatics had EGR; some of the 5-speeds, AFAIK.

If you DO have EGR then look into replacing the Backpressure Reducer (used is fine...Toyota's work too!) as it's easy and fixed my CEL when it failed. Or try cleaning the actual EGR valve.

Also, there were differences in the vacuum lines due to the Charcoal Canister being moved to the back on the '98-ish Legacy Wagons (my '96 EJ22 Sedan was in back, too). Look on here for more info to confirm your setup.

post-3804-0-13070400-1488509397_thumb.png

post-3804-0-28521400-1488509739_thumb.png

Edited by wtdash

That engine has no EGR.

You will have to swap the entire intake manifold to remove the EGR code.

That is the correct ECU for a 99 Legacy GT.

You have a 95 or 96 EJ22 from a manual transmission car. You need a 95 to 98 EJ22 automatic intake manifold and EGR pipe. You can drill and tap the head or you can route the EGR tube to a T spliced into the idle control hose.

You can't get around swapping the intake that I am aware of due to how the ECU performs heuristic detection of EGR operation.

GD

It is the only option. Or put a 2.5 engine back in I guess. Which is more work.

Intake swap.... well myself and an employee of mine had to pull one on an engine startup to correct a gasket deficiency and we were in a real huff go get it done and go home. Took about 12 minutes to pull it, swap the gasket and have it running again.

So yeah - it's actually VERY easy. The hardest part will be finding an EGR manifold and opening your wallet to own it.

GD

Yup. EGR solution is found. It is the only way to get the EGR code to go away. You can use car-part.com to find a local used intake manifold or look up Harrys U pull it in Allentown or Quakertown for a chance to save some $$$ and pull it yourself. or anyone parting out a 95-98 impreza or legacy with a 2.2 and automatic transmission. A want ad in the classifieds here will probably turn one up too.

I've messed around with these cars a lot so seeing as it's your first car, if you're not familiar with working on them, I can guide you through it. It will take an hour or two with basic tools on average. Sounds scarier than it is.

I'm running a 96 2.2 in my 98 Legacy and can get you pics and step by step if need be.

• Like 1

Hanna's Auto Works & Recycling USA-PA(Allentown) 610-437-9600

heck, here you go. This auto yard in Allentown has one off a 97 legacy 2.2 Automatic. Going rate for one is between $50 and $100.

The more stuff attached to it the easier the swap but everything should swap over from the 2.5 manifold onto the 2.2 manifold.

Ok so I called Hanna's they will sell me the intake for $75.00 the EGR for $45.00 and he said he would throw in a tube.  Would that be all I need ? What about the wiring harness and injectors. Some one also told me I will need to pull the head and have it drilled and taped for some type of connection. You Guys are very helpful but this job is post-66224-0-00451100-1488552428_thumb.jpgmaking me nervous.

Don't be nervous. It's new to you but old hat to us. I've probably done this maneuver about 6 or so times fixing up some of these cars just like this. I just completed them with no check engine lights before I'd sell them to anyone. Its a common swap for these cars because the 2.5 motor for these years was trouble and the 2.2 was easily dropped in. Worse comes to worse, buy the parts, drive out to western PA and i'll put it in for you. 

If the tube is the one that comes off the back of the EGR port to the head, then it's a good start. You'll need the wiring harness as well as an EGR solenoid and Vacuum switch valve I believe. (I don't have the car in front of me.)

Best would be if you can find someone to just sell you the manifold as unbolted from the motor. it comes with the solenoids and everything all attached and read to go. That way you just unbolt the manifold, unplug the wires, hoses and such and switch them out. Someone will sell you one for $100. Put a want ad in the classifieds here. Someone has to have a parts car or motor around and help you out. The $75+45 and such at hannahs is pretty steep all things considered til you add wiring and solenoids and such that should just come bolted to it.

drilling and tapping is one way to do it, but a pain unless the motor was already out.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/137829-using-a-non-egr-engine-in-subaru-with-egr-exhaust-gas-recirculation-valve/

That work around is the simpler solution. You can get parts from home depot or similar for $15 and put it together in 15 minutes. I cut off the EGR tube and used a few small hose clamps over a rubber tube slid over the EGR tube.

Yes you need the harness - really it would be best to get the complete manifold with all sensors and throttle body, harness, etc since sometimes the sensor wiring can change year to year. If you get a 97/98 you will also need the plug wires. 

I wouldn't drill and tap the head unless you have the engine out. We don't - it's too risky. Plus you will need to buy some fairly expensive 16mm plug and bottoming taps, and a matching drill bit, etc. Just plumb it to the idle control hose coming off the intake tube. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Have someone double check me on this. GD can probably confirm, but if you swap everything off that manifold to the 2.2 manifold from hannas and bolt it in, you should be good to go. I don't see any reason it shouldnt work.

You'll probably need plug wires from a 98 but they are good preventative maintenance anyway.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

OK , I think that will be the plan. I will buy the 2.2 manifold and swap out the parts needed from my friends 2.5 to the new 2.2 . When its complete I will pull the 2.2 without the EGR from the car and install the new 2.2 with EGR and I should be fine. I will let you guys know how I make out when I am done.

Thanks for all your help

Josh