Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rosey the Forester - My new family helper

TheSubaruJunkie

Hello everybody meet Rosey!
giphy.gif

She is my trust family helper which I purchased to get my children safely to school and back and also assist in hauling groceries.  With the occasional family road trip scattered in between.   :)

It will replace my 2002 Toyota Sequoia which is great at hauling a trailer but not so great at city fuel mileage.   I was able to sell my old bucket 1995 Legacy (which never did me wrong) and pool together some tax return money to pick up this gem:

HfMy6zRh.jpg

Ppn2kOyh.jpg

She has 206,000 miles, is a 5spd and has been pretty well taken care of her whole life.  Now its my turn to have my way with her  :wub:

First thing first, these rims have to go.  They were resprayed and are now flaking badly.  Plus the tires dont even match so thats a big no-no!

Next is the suspension...  the current rear struts are blown.  And I need to do something about all of that wheel gap, so some WRX suspension is in the works.

Other than that, I want to touch up the exterior with a headlight restoration & repaint the bumpers and plastic cladding.  

Edited by TheSubaruJunkie
  • Like 1

So first thing first, these headlights!  I had to do something about them and quick.   Part of me wanted to just drop $140 on eBay and get some brand new ones.   But my wife kept asking me to clear her headlights and I figure this was as good a time as any to do hers and tackle mine.   So I went to Harbor Freight and picked up their $13 headlight restore kit with the drill attachment & assortment of sand paper with the sponge attachment too.   Then I went to Auto Zone and grabbed some Meguiar's plastic polish and a bottle of their plastic sealer as well.    

The process actually wasn't terribly difficult and the results were amazing.   Here is a comparison shot I took after doing just one headlight:

JwRe1koh.jpg

And a close-up of the headlight.  Its as good as new again!

3R0imIeh.jpg

And here's a pic of both our cars after I finished.  

O82CN8ph.jpg

The entire job took only about 90 minutes and that was for both cars.   I applied a coat of the sealant and then gave it 15minutes to dry, then applied another coat.   

I also found the suspension I needed.  Front & rear struts/springs from a '04 WRX Sedan.   I was hoping I could find suspension from a WRX Wagon, I am hoping the sedan springs are not too soft.

OaoZeLJh.jpg

Well I can't believe it but I found new rims.  Not only did I find some bad rump roast subaru rims, but I found my favorite rims Subaru has EVER made!  The 5 spoke alloys from '98-'00 RS and JDM WRX's.   These were sold to me as JDM WRX rims, but im not sure if they are USDM or not.   It would have been nice if they were the silver version and not gold, but for the price I can not be picky.  Especially since they have a matching set of tires that still have plenty of tread.  And are also 100% perfectly balanced!  

vFCIA7Mh.jpg

1BuqykAh.jpg

I don't know.  The gold is kind of growing on me.  But I am thinking I will probably paint the rims black once I repaint the trim.

Well, well.  He's alive.  Good to have ya back here, old friend.

That's a good looking Forester, but Idk about those gold rims..of course you know I'm a "stock" kind of guy. ^_^

Great job on the headlights. 

That Camry is disturbing. :lol:

Welcome home!

HEY DAVE!!!

Yeah been a long time for sure. I agree, Im not sure the gold will stick around. Look forward to seeing the rims in black as soon as I clean enough room for the garage to tear everything down.

p.s.

That Camry has been in our family for going on 6 years now and the only bit of maintenance i have had to do was a brake job and annual oil changes. Plus my wife drives 80+ miles a day for her commute and that car gets us 37mpg :)

• Like 1

I spent the weekend replacing my stereo. I took the android head unit out of my Sequoia and began transferring it to Rosey. The head unit is slightly over sized and I knew I would have to remove the center console to enlarge the opening. However I didn't know what a huge pain it would be to get console apart with the heater controls in my way! I ended up having to remove the entire glove box, and also the lower panel from the drivers side in order to locate and remove the heater control cables.

eBPvi8Xh.jpg

Next I had to take my dremel to it and begin trimming away.

qoo1DPHh.jpg

But in the end it was worth it!

UTrKho2h.jpg

vSOlw7sh.jpg

Next thing I need to do is replace the door speakers because they are awful! The rear passenger door speaker doesnt even work so that has to get replaced as well. But at least now I have some tunes. And I can tell how far off my speedo is with the new tires.

Spent a couple hours in the garage today and slapped in the new suspension. Wow what a huge improvement!!! Mostly because my old rear struts were completely blown. With these new struts and springs Rosey is planted firmly to the ground!

Here's a before

vV4iBKxh.jpg

During

tt6AmSZh.jpg

& after shot

eqsKaelh.jpg

Now she looks proper! :D

4kr9Z9kh.jpg

I'm really glad that you put those wheels on your Forester. I love those wheels and have considered putting them on my SG, but after seeing yours, I'll pass. They look a little too small, in my opinion. Handsome car all around, though!

Edited by jmoss5723

• 3 weeks later...

Well I spent the majority of yesterday with Rosey in the garage. I picked up some "Forever Black" bumper and trim dye off amazon so I could restore all the faded plastic cladding. I didn't really want to go full black, but there didn't seem to be any other options. And I didn't feel like masking and painting, so this seemed like the simplest solution.

For reference here are a few before closeup shots of the main eye-sores:

BggoJ5kh.jpg

JAHpZRkh.jpg

ssD9CLIh.jpg

Here's a comparison shot I took during the process:

nI6weV6h.jpg

And a close up of how well it covered the faded ripples on the rear bumper:

hZKLPV8h.jpg

Side shot of the finished project:

pySqzvVh.jpg

The entire job didn't take more than 3 hours. I made sure to wash all the plastic with warm soapy water and then dry it with a towel. Then let it sit for a few minutes (80f california sun) to fully dry before pulling the car into the garage and getting to work. One bottle seemed to be more than enough. I probably have enough left in the bottle to do a follow-up coat in a few area's where I got sloppy.

Near the end of the job, the foam brush included with the kit began to get floppy and lost a lot of its support. This made it difficult to apply even coats and on a few of the last panels you can see brush strokes. I will be getting another sponge style brush and re-apply a coat in these area's some other day. For now I am pretty satisfied with the results.

zi1DNIYh.jpg

Since I was preparing the bumper for the dye, I thought it would be a good opportunity to pull the fog lights and restore them. I also picked up some yellow rvinyl tint off ebay and took some time to tint the fog lights.

Here's a before & after shot of the fog lights on the restoration:

4kyaqrqh.jpg

and here's a shot of one light tinted vs the clear:

88yHOM3h.jpg

The tinting process is not terribly difficult. I am not a perfectionist and ended up with a few tiny bubbles. But from a distance you would never be able to tell. I think the yellow fog lights compliment the gold rims.

HaZSA0Uh.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's the same stuff I used on my '83 bumpers and black plastic.   Rain, snow and carwashes were good for removal (as what happened to you).  I always waited until I got to WCSS before applying it.

Just my 2 bucks

The stuff you used at the car shows was just some sort of restoring agent that brought back the shine in dull plastic. The stuff I used is an actual black dye (that will turn your clothing black I found out). It appears to have still dyed the plastic a darker color. Im going to pressure wash it all off and see if it took care of the fading that I was concerned about.

Wow that is really beautiful!  I love the way the gold wheels play off the reddish (7 parts red + 1 part yellow/gold to my eyes) paint!  It would take some work (and a back hatch & right front fender in silver) to get my 93 Loyale lookin half that pretty!