Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 brat automatic not shifting to 3rd

If you can't remember then I would change that and check the governor. I am not sure about location. I am a manual guy. I don't like the auto's myself and if something goes on them it is always expensive. But that is just me.

You might be low on the fluid and then once it gets enough pressure slams into gear. 

If you are low on fluid get it up to needed level. The troubleshooting manual indicates that it is either the governor or the 2-3 band. I have picked up a couple of cars that had that problem. I adjusted and cleaned and both are still running locally 4 years later. 

Download a manual if you don't have one and do the adjustments and if the parts are still good it should solve your problem.

The tutorial about cleaning the governor used to be available under the repair manual database but the link is no longer good.

The governor is located under a cover on the passenger side upper front of the trans. It is almost directly above the axle.The cover has 3 bolts, remove them and the cover. You might lose a tablespoon of trans fluid. The governor can be pulled out and serviced at this point. 

Disassemble and clean paying attention to any sharp edges. Smooth these sharp edges with a stone or fine file. Clean again and reassemble in reverse order.

The 2-3 band adjustment method is in the manual. If you are going to own a Subaru you really need the manual, download it http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/--Old%20Models--/

Just purchased the Brat last Friday. My wife wanted something to use to get horse feed because my 99 silverado is to big for her ( she being only 4' 11 inch tall ) but she really likes it so far. I just need to do alittle maintinance on it.

Well I got it shifting now. The vacuum hose for the modulator valve has disconnected from the carb end. I did not find the original location after looking for a while so I connected it to a tee that had a cap on one side.It is probably not the correct location but I did not find a connection for it. It shifts smoothly all the way to third. It downshifts when I step on the accelerator. The carb does sputter some now.