Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Impreza Outback, will struts fit on 1998 Legacy L wagon ?

I agree but if you're willing to deal with a few issues then go for it.

I don't know if spring height/rates are different.

You may need to re use your legacy top mounts.

The brake lines may attach to the strut differently.

If you have a donor car, you can swap out the brake lines too.

If you have to swap the brake lines, keep the legacy ones in case you ever need to or want to switch back to legacy struts. But this is assuming they attach differently. I'm not sure

Edited by GreaseMonkey03

Just keep in mind, they're still 18 years old. Might be better off holding out for better used ones or saving up for new ones. Outside of that, do what you gotta do. You can find struts pretty cheap online. Hopefully you can inspect before you buy and at least see if they are leaking first.

$100 for the set is not bad. I paid more than that here stateside for used forester struts to lift my legacy.

If they're in decent shape, I don't mind buying used because, while they wont have the long term life of a new set, they save $$$ and save time when you can swap the whole assembly rather than disassemble each one to swap just the struts. Compressing springs scares me. I'd rather do a motor swap than swap a full set of new struts.

When you're ready for new - KYB is highly recommended. American made is fine too. Avoid the inexpensive chinese made though. Lots of reviews of them failing inside 10,000 miles.

• Like 1