Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator questions 88 GL

Looking into a new radiator, mine seems to be leaking at the spot where the cap tube meets the radiator as well as a main hose. I'm looking at the one pictured, but realizing mine doesn't have those outlets I labeled in the photo. rather there are just two metal screw plugs. possible to get a radiator that doesn't have these or is this what we are working with now?  Also, what are those for? where would they go?

Thinking I can just cap them off, but seeing as that just adds more spots for a leak to happen I'd rather get one without those. Maybe I can unscrew them and put my metal screw plugs there? any info would be appreciated.

post-65531-0-02628000-1489178281_thumb.jpg 

I think I found the same listings on partsgeek..   The picture you have above looks like the one listed for a 1.6L engine.

If you have a 1.8L engine [EA82] then you want one the other ones.

I have always run the 2 row turbo radiators in my GLs & Loyales.  But those are not to be found any more.

The brand I had happened to find that used to sell them was CSF, all metal.

I think I found the same listings on partsgeek..   The picture you have above looks like the one listed for a 1.6L engine.

If you have a 1.8L engine [EA82] then you want one the other ones.

I have always run the 2 row turbo radiators in my GLs & Loyales.  But those are not to be found any more.

The brand I had happened to find that used to sell them was CSF, all metal.

I just bought one from CFS, I believe it was a 933, but I don't have the paperwork in front of me. If you go this route, you will have to grind the bung down a little for the fan thermoswitch so it seats right. Somebody else posted about it in another thread and saved me the headache of learning the hard way. 

Dan

The first rad i posted is a CFS one. I think it's that same 933 your talking about beech. Doesn't look like the dual row exist anymore new unfortunately or not in the US? good tip on having to grind down the rad a little for the thermo switch. thanks for passing that along. looks like CFS it is.

YnotDIY,

That picture you put up is an earlier radiator to suit the Gen 2/"MY" platform. That's in the Wagons, Hatches and Coupes made from '80-ish through to when the the Gen 3 Loyale/Leone came out in '85. That radiator continued to be used in the Brumby/Brat untill they were phased out in about '92. Think of it as an EA71/EA81 radiator.

Also they are a Brass-copper unit as opposed to an aluminium-plastic one that's in the Gen 3s.

The filler off to the side there is a bit strange hey, theres no other way to describe it in my opinion other than an outright terrible idea as it actually sits lower than the water crossover passage that runs up the middle of the manifold. EA81s have a small water bleed screw that you need to open up when your trying to bleed the system or else you'll never get rid of the air bubble in the manifold. I'm glad they changed it for the Gen 3s.

Edited by ANIM_Hooneru

I recently purchased a Spectra rad for my 1988 GL hatch and its great. It was all metal and fit in the car nicely. It was listed as a dual row.

The only gripe I have is that the factory rad cap doesn't fit. The one you will need to buy to fit it is actually quite large. I found it at Napa for about $5.

Edited by bmx_huckstar