Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I have an issue with my 1998 Forester: It has been wobbling under load more and more over the last few weeks, but I assumed I had a wheel out of balance and figured I would get around to it soon enough. So yesterday, I took it for a spin after replacing the fuel inlet tube, and discovered that pretty well anywhere from start off to 60mph it now has this horrid clunking shimmy.

I jacked it up and discovered two things.

1) A loose motor mount bolt, and

2) A broken transmission mount.

I tightened the motor mount bolt and took it out again. It's worse now, if anything.

Further inspection revealed some play in driver front wheel bearing and bad rubber in the steering stabilizer mounts or torsion bars or whatever they are. Also torn boots on one cv joint and steering components. But I can't see anything that should account for what is happening.

Any ideas?

The trans mount was replaced or still broken? Check rear diff mounts? Possible that the missing motor mount bolt was absorbing some of the vibration and feels worse now that it's mounted up firmly.

Stabilizer bushings, bearing and cv boots won't cause a shimmy although stanalizer bushings could cause some clunking noises.

I'd start with the tranny mount and check the rear diff and go from there. Stanalizer bushings are cheap and worth throwing in if they are bad but can be a nightmare if the bolts are rusted.

Were you able to get a firm hand on the driveshaft and rotate it left and right to check the joint or just visual inspection?

Edited by GreaseMonkey03

• 2 weeks later...