Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mid mount Brat racer

docmidBratt

Neat project with a twist!

I don't know about racing regs in NZ - but I do know that at least in some, if not all racing classes in Australia that CAMS will not licence/certify a vehicle for racing if it's got a sunroof that's glass. I don't know about the moon roof etc.

I mention this as you've got the "targa top" brumby body in use there. Settlement creek racing was going to use the same brumby type for off-road racing until CAMS told them otherwise in their initial inquiries about their build.

I hope it's not the case with all the work you've already put into this beast!

Cheers

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the good stuff to happen.

Engine Bay 2

The engine bays looking good. Cross member installed, Suspension installed.

F Boot

The front nearly ready for fuel cell, brake lines,steering lines and still have to put tower to rail brace in.

F Bumper 2

The front is all mocked up and braces for grill and bumper done.

Has a wrx front bumper installed and the brumby grill, still with to front guards to be flared to fit rims and tyres it will line up fine.

I no the gap looks bad between the guard and bumper but trust me, when we finish it will look fine.

radiator mounted

Radiator mounted and ready for piping up.

And for the first look at the rear flared guard.

R Guard 3

Still some work to do.
Not to sure what to do at the front lower section of the guard,
but a spoob load or cardboard and tape will come up with something.

Its taking a long time to get to this stage but now enjoying making and fitting stuff.

• Like 2

Looks good mate!

Rear flare: thought of a 70's inspired inverted duck tail upward "scoop" from the lower body edge up to meet the flare?

With some sort of similar scoop on the front end, either the flare or the front bar, it'll look schmick I reckon!

Cheers

Bennie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well its been some time since the last post.

Weathers been a bugger.

But now at last thing are moving forward,

Check it out

246028265_BrumbyRside.JPG.832f60ff3933fcc3b43fc73ca242d756.JPG1027240338_Brumkbyengine1.JPG.b639052b91113554bd90d71a3b9626e3.JPG882105513_Brumbyengine2.JPG.05e9db61cc6c1057acb0b39ed515f2a1.JPG

As you can see the front and rear guards are almost done. Still have the front right to do.

Got new Rims & wheels, 18" 235 offset 35. Got some Advan race tyres of a friend of mine who races in the NZ v8 ute series for $50 each.

He gets new tyres all the time so he has always got some in various states of  life, but for mock up these are fine.

Thinking of fitting running boards. Have made some cardboard one's and they don't look to bad.

And yes the engine is in place. Almost room for a boxer 6. I think about 150mm to fire wall, of the top of my head.

Still have to make rear gearbox mount, but have a plan in place for that.

But starting to look good.

enjoy

• Like 1

That car should be a blast!

You could definitely fit an H6.  The EG33 is only an inch or two longer (25-50mm), the EZ30/36 is less than an inch longer than the EJ.

It is probably much too late in the build for this, but can you lower it?  What do you need, 50mm ground clearance?

• 1 month later...

Wow. Nice work dude. I have been moding mine for sometime as well. I have a 2.2T in my Brat. Haven't fired it off yet but have been foaming at the mouth her for years. I love the fender flares. I might have to do that to mine. Being you are racing it, you might want to think about Line-X ing the whole car. I did it to my Rx. White of course. I have some pics online here of it. People are always wanting to touch it. 

We have a lot of dirt roads where I am at and lots of logging trucks. Window chips and stuff. Didn't want to spend all this money on paint to have it chipped. 

Love the build. Wish I lived close by to learn some fab work from you. Looks great. Keep it up. 

Joe.

Back again. Progress has been a little slow as its winter here and we have had a lot of rain.

But I have managed to get a few thing done.

Got a 19ltr fuel cell. Had the filler in the middle of it, so have changed it to fit the aeromotive phantom in tank fuel

pump with buffer. cool little unit and should pump 400hp easy. More than we need to start with.

Also have had some power steering lines made up to go under the car.

I have a 3d printer so I'm making up 4 custom twin mounts that hold the power steer lines in place.

Weathers looking better so can start fitting stuff.

cheers doc

fuel cell modded.JPG

power steer hose.JPG

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an update

well my Alienware alpha r2 shat its self  a few months back so no PC to post stuff.

it had the new pics of where we are up to.

But here are the things we have bone since.

lightweight flywheel 

fuel line parts

starter motor

we have fully cleaned up and under sealed the under side of the cab and

fully sealed under front guards, front (engine ) bay

front guards 90% done.

did a new exhaust setup. 2 into 1. Looks pretty good. Only had to cut twice to merge together. Lucky

also added cross bar for engine support. The one that goes to firewall.

we have started wiring engine up. Sorting manual auto wiring.

So sorry, until I get my PC fixed no pics

• 5 months later...

ITS ALIVE

sorry again, computer still not fixed.

have been working dibble shifts over Xmas to get some coin to bust it all out.

got me hands on gf8 STI running a 98 ra motor with a td05 turbo for cheap as the guy who had it

couldnt get it run on all 4.

had to take the engine out to check things out and found it had a broken camshaft.

fixed that and up for sale shortly to get some more found to finish the brat off.

been working on the wiring and have things laid out sort of how it's going to go.

decided to do a  boostedboys fuel pump setup and we having problems with getting power to starter?

so did a jumper and turned her over. Funny noises?

that right I had put tape over the intake to stop spoob from getting into the air intake.

took that off and turned her over again and she fired into life.

pretty quit considering the short streight pipe I'm running. 

But I'll do my best to get my PC up and running when I sell the STI so I can post updates

and video

but bloody happy with the start up. Gives me the pump to gets her finished.

cheers Doc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hay all, back for an update.

things are going well but slow.

But have done front end by installing all radiator pipping, hoses and radiator all the way to engine. plus full with coolant.

Slight problem with radiator small hose fitting not being able to screw into radiator. (far right of radiator in pic, have queried supplier but no reply)

Fuel cell plus hoses and hard lines to engine all fitted. Hoses to secure at front. wiring to do.

Clutch all plumbed in and working.

brake lines all run front calipers fitted, back calipers not the best. will have to get some more. plus new hoses (old ones stuffed)

And check out the side vent for intake filter. small scoop to come.

inside, made gear leaver tower, fitted rear brake bias valve. Also not pictured, a plastic pipe with power and earth going through.

Also have a power board with main power stay branching to 6 exits to fit stuff to. ( gauges etc)

1143842928_Vent2.JPG.7a0408f3aad30fb5d8c501a801ffd669.JPGIMG_0226.JPG.9aa8ba49e80bf4202e704f7e63fff715.JPG198420399_Front1.JPG.24646e6239301b4ac00ec07e8a9fc4b7.JPG1462898093_Vent1.JPG.109eeee976561e39513d375ebce6cf18.JPG

And not to far to get running.

Had lots of holidays to take (Like a month) but when it came time to take them it ended up being 2 days before corona virus lock down.

As i live in New Zealand  that meant only essential workers only could work.

so only doctors, super markets, couriers, posties, farmers.

No supply shops so couldn't get any parts. no bottle stores, bars, malls, takeaways, mechanics, most businesses. very sad

Plus we have to stay in our bubbles. ( family only, no friends)

So where other countries pretty much sort of kept going, we didn't.

That's why we only have 13 dead from corona.

Well anyway that's enough of that stuff, everyone look out for yourself,

Doc

• Like 1

Hey Doc, thanks for he update.

And wow, you guys took it to the extreme! Over here businesses were still open but with the regulated social distancing requirements in place. I’m glad that didn’t happen to us (still could!) as having access to parts was a bit of a life line for me - I got a few things done so it wasn’t wasted time. 

Cheers 

Bennie

have been setting up wiring for fuel pump, starter and other stuff like that.

Dash.JPG.eef874a87972ef9d4ca2e4245a82322a.JPG

So power board on left. starter, fuel pump on right.

Wiring only setup for the cage to be put in. so long wires and temp starter board position.

with this set up we still have to screwdriver turn key on, but fuel pump works off starter panel + big red starter

button starts car. starts in a few seconds.

Had lots of problems getting air out of coolant lines. 

we could get the thermostat to open but it wouldn't push air out.

It would only get about 4 feet along the ally pipes under the car and the car would start to over heat.

So we took the thermostat out. and checked it. all good but decided to cut the spring out to get it to flow better.

plumbed lines back in an bled air out. the coolant temp stayed around 73 degrees C which isn't  too bad for

a standing car. single fan up front to help cool. 

Not to sure how this setup will work at the track? was thinking of using thermostat with a few drill holes in it.

But will find out later.

End

Have you driven it yet?

You should be fine drilling a few holes in it for track use with your mild weather.  Up here it gets down to -20C in the winter so drilling holes in the thermostat doesn't work year round.

In my experience EJs run hottest when sitting idling so if it can handle that you'll probably be fine at speed, especially with that big radiator up front.  If you do have issues you could try adding a piece of sheet metal or plastic under the radiator that extends forward as far as practical and back 200-300mm so the air can't just flow under it.  73C is pretty cold, 90 would be more normal.

Can you reach those switches when you're strapped in the seat?

In my experience the stock subaru water pump doesn't have the capability to do what you need. We found it caused problems with priming, air pockets and cavitation causing wildly fluctuating temperatures.

My setup is similar to yours but reversed, with the engine up front and radiator in the rear. I used an electric water pump, which cured the overheating issues but also picked up the added benefits of being able to easily prime the cooling system (which you've already discovered is very difficult) with the engine off and can also continue pumping coolant through a hot engine if forced to shut down. It also enables a faster warm up in cold weather by leaving it off.

Thanks for the info guys. Great help moving forward.

the placing of the start panel is only temporary until the cage is fitted and

then it will be placed in a permanent reachable position.

havn't driven yet. Need accelerator cable which I can't get modified until thing open.

still have a few bolts to tighten, and rear brakes to fit. ( need rebuild kit )

but then still have to figure out other wiring. It very hard to find a Bg5 ecu pin out.

netual switch and stuff like that. 

But not to far away. Just have to move the sti, the Lancaster and a vortex turbo we were just given( not running )

just changed the plugs, 12 voted the injectors to clear the spoob out and put my spear Honda 

fuel pump in a container of fuel up front ( vortex pump stuffed ) and boom, she fired up.

Might just flip it, can't be stuffed fixing the rust much rust .

• 3 weeks later...

Update

throttle cable rebuilt. 4 metres long

mounted the key barrel into the cover for the wiring, brake line. ( picture to come )

redid a few earth wires. 

The car fires up sweet from sitting in race seat.

got some brake calipers coming for the back.

fixed earth wires that go to dash cluster. All earth wires cut off for some reason.

now the dash goes.

not far away from driving

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1