Ultimate Subaru Message Board
docmidBratt

Mid mount Brat racer

Neat project with a twist!

I don't know about racing regs in NZ - but I do know that at least in some, if not all racing classes in Australia that CAMS will not licence/certify a vehicle for racing if it's got a sunroof that's glass. I don't know about the moon roof etc.

I mention this as you've got the "targa top" brumby body in use there. Settlement creek racing was going to use the same brumby type for off-road racing until CAMS told them otherwise in their initial inquiries about their build.

I hope it's not the case with all the work you've already put into this beast!

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks for your advice about the T tops.

We are going to replace them with a lighter alloy or pollycarb pieces but for now they look cool.

• Like 1

Time for the good stuff to happen.

Engine Bay 2

The engine bays looking good. Cross member installed, Suspension installed.

F Boot

The front nearly ready for fuel cell, brake lines,steering lines and still have to put tower to rail brace in.

F Bumper 2

The front is all mocked up and braces for grill and bumper done.

Has a wrx front bumper installed and the brumby grill, still with to front guards to be flared to fit rims and tyres it will line up fine.

I no the gap looks bad between the guard and bumper but trust me, when we finish it will look fine.

radiator mounted

Radiator mounted and ready for piping up.

And for the first look at the rear flared guard.

R Guard 3

Still some work to do.
Not to sure what to do at the front lower section of the guard,
but a spoob load or cardboard and tape will come up with something.

Its taking a long time to get to this stage but now enjoying making and fitting stuff.

• Like 1

Looks good mate!

Rear flare: thought of a 70's inspired inverted duck tail upward "scoop" from the lower body edge up to meet the flare?

With some sort of similar scoop on the front end, either the flare or the front bar, it'll look schmick I reckon!

Cheers

Bennie

well its been some time since the last post.

Weathers been a bugger.

But now at last thing are moving forward,

Check it out

246028265_BrumbyRside.JPG.832f60ff3933fcc3b43fc73ca242d756.JPG1027240338_Brumkbyengine1.JPG.b639052b91113554bd90d71a3b9626e3.JPG882105513_Brumbyengine2.JPG.05e9db61cc6c1057acb0b39ed515f2a1.JPG

As you can see the front and rear guards are almost done. Still have the front right to do.

Got new Rims & wheels, 18" 235 offset 35. Got some Advan race tyres of a friend of mine who races in the NZ v8 ute series for $50 each.

He gets new tyres all the time so he has always got some in various states of  life, but for mock up these are fine.

Thinking of fitting running boards. Have made some cardboard one's and they don't look to bad.

And yes the engine is in place. Almost room for a boxer 6. I think about 150mm to fire wall, of the top of my head.

Still have to make rear gearbox mount, but have a plan in place for that.

But starting to look good.

enjoy

• Like 1

That car should be a blast!

You could definitely fit an H6.  The EG33 is only an inch or two longer (25-50mm), the EZ30/36 is less than an inch longer than the EJ.

It is probably much too late in the build for this, but can you lower it?  What do you need, 50mm ground clearance?

Wow. Nice work dude. I have been moding mine for sometime as well. I have a 2.2T in my Brat. Haven't fired it off yet but have been foaming at the mouth her for years. I love the fender flares. I might have to do that to mine. Being you are racing it, you might want to think about Line-X ing the whole car. I did it to my Rx. White of course. I have some pics online here of it. People are always wanting to touch it. 

We have a lot of dirt roads where I am at and lots of logging trucks. Window chips and stuff. Didn't want to spend all this money on paint to have it chipped. 

Love the build. Wish I lived close by to learn some fab work from you. Looks great. Keep it up. 

Joe.

Back again. Progress has been a little slow as its winter here and we have had a lot of rain.

But I have managed to get a few thing done.

Got a 19ltr fuel cell. Had the filler in the middle of it, so have changed it to fit the aeromotive phantom in tank fuel

pump with buffer. cool little unit and should pump 400hp easy. More than we need to start with.

Also have had some power steering lines made up to go under the car.

I have a 3d printer so I'm making up 4 custom twin mounts that hold the power steer lines in place.

Weathers looking better so can start fitting stuff.

cheers doc

fuel cell modded.JPG

power steer hose.JPG

o yea. The phantom system I'm running.

I thought it would be easier to run this system than the 3 pump surge tank systems around.

phantom.jpg