Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rotors go out of round and pulsating brake even after multiple rotor replacements…

• 2 weeks later...

Got some 0.001" shim washers on Amazon and the clamping dial indicator from HF. Got the runout within 0.002" so hopefully that will keep my rotor from developing judder again. Ultimately, I would like to find the cause of the hub having runout, but for now this will have to do!

Thanks for the help!

They are new rotors and I doubt they have runout from the box...I could do an on car turning, but I'll wait and see how my shims work out...

I would not be so sure.

We used to machine ALL of the brand new FACTORY rotors at a dealership I once worked at.

They were all warped.

I have seen warped new aftermarket rotors too.

• 2 years later...

I totally concur with the wrapped/bent HUB... I did all 4 and with an issue that I was having before shimming the shakes and the whoo whoo whoo's then with a plague of broken ball joints and tires becoming out of round on all 4 because i would rotate wheels. 

I replaced,ball joints, shocks,struts,bearings,axles,cones,tires,rotors, pads, drums,and shoes and with in probably 6months I got the shimmy and shakes AgAiN at hwy speed.

I jacked up the front and inspected the wheels as they are turning in 1st gear. From the front looking at the side there was no real wobble... then I looked from the side and the drivers hub was waouwaouwaou... I pulled the hub and replaced it with a another from the scrap yard. And it looks a hell of alot better and it doesn't really vibrate but rather makes a pulsating noise.. which I think has to do more with the rotor being jacked... now. And this goes W aaay back 12 yrs ago in the making when I was getting pushed out of my lane by another driver in the early am hrs in the rain I chucked a curb. The rim does not appear bent,  yet  I replaced all that horse shitt from hell to find out it was my hub after all not dragging brakes or anything else not that I would have eventually have to change anything out after 300,000+ Miles and really  I missed one in your face clue.... the washer on the cone did not leave centered impression.

:lol::popcorn::banghead:

Edited by Len Dawg

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been having this same problem with my 91' 4wd loyale.

I've just gone through and replaced the front rotors and pads, inner and outer tie rods and ball joints, sway bar bushings, tires balanced and had the alignment done and it still shakes the steering wheel when braking! I did notice the other day that the steering wheel doesn't shake while i'm turning and braking at hwy speeds, but it sure does when i'm going straight. I can also feel a pulsing in the brake pedal when turning and braking though. Any help would be much appreciated.