Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heh, I did a manual swap on a buddies 96 impress. I put that ground wire that your talking about on a paint covered hole (so not a good ground if at all) and the car would not crank. And if it did crank it wouldn't even start.

I don't remember where it went :( sorry.

But yeah. I had to get a different guy to help me realize all my issues was traced to that bad ground.

How are you testing for spark? It's a "waste spark" system, so you have to have all the other sparkplug wires connected and either grounded or attached to the plugs to complete the circuit.

I'd take a closer look at the main plugs going to the engine next to the battery. Unplug them and make sure none of the pins have backed out or any of the wires broke right at the connector. When you shockloaded the drive train, the engine is going to torque to the passenger side and upwards in reaction to trying to spin the driveshaft and axles. So stuff on the drivers front is most likely to get yanked.

The main other "ran poorly then died" usual suspect is the MAF sensor, easy enough to just unplug it and try cranking to see if it will start.

Think you kicked anything under the dash when you were dumping the clutch?

The thing to think about when doing a clutch dump on an AWD car is since the power is sent to all wheels it's much harder to break a tire free and burn rubber like a 2wd car would. Instead it's much more likely for the tires to stay hooked and for something else in the drivetrain to break, like the gears in the transmission. If you want to "drift", learn to set the car up for a powerslide by switching the momentum on the tail of the car right as you hit it with power. Look up the "scandinavian flick" for the technique. Just don't put the car sideways into a ditch and roll it while you're learning!

Thats why I did it in gravel and dirt. Still a bad idea nonetheless, I'll look again at the main plugs near the battery in the morning. I got an offer for a 2001 suburban with 165k because my buddy is a subaru fanatic so that's something to look into. Running and driving truck for a non running bru. The subie is just awesome though