Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brought my son's 1990 Legacy L Wagon to local mechanic because it's been running rough (hard starting, strange idling, stall at red light, etc.) The shop having trouble reading and deciphering all info given by computer because they don't work on vehicles this old often. They thought they narrowed down problem to Engine Temp Sensor, replaced but it didn't help. Now they're saying the ECU probably needs to be replaced. I think I need a second opinion.

Long story, short: need a shop in Dallas that has experience with older Subaru's

Edited by SubaruDrew

Brought my son's 1990 Legacy L Wagon to local mechanic because it's been running rough (hard starting, strange idling, stall at red light, etc.) The shop having trouble reading and deciphering all info given by computer because they don't work on vehicles this old often. They thought they narrowed down problem to Engine Temp Sensor, replaced but it didn't help. Now they're saying the ECU probably needs to be replaced. I think I need a second opinion.

Long story, short: need a shop in Dallas that has experience with older Subaru's

How many miles on the car?

bad temp sensor is common on those.

There are two temp sensors on that engine. Which one did they replace?

Another common problem with those is the idle control valve fails and they're very expensive and picky about replacements.

We have quite a few members here who know those early EJs inside and out. You could start a thread asking for help with the problem and get some solid advice before taking it to another shop. Or get enough info to fix it yourself since these things really aren't difficult to work on.