Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So today when getting off the highway to make a right turn to get lunch the whole transmission gave up with a large scraping and judder.. I had no forward.. and in park the car still kinda made the sound in reverse I could move a little but then that soon went..

OK so I need a new transmission.. I've pulled 2 5MT's out before not too bad but (not a fan of auto's) I've never did a auto before and all I keep hearing about is the TC and how not to let it slip out and all.. and since I'm going to be dropping the transmission I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it?

Make sure a cv axle didn't fail.

Remove trans and install another one.

Try to keep TC seated but always check it and reseat if necessary. You can read up tips on how to do it. That being said - since you're replacing the transmission it doesn't matter if you keep it seated or not when removing. You'll be pulling that TCto reuse or using the TC that comes with the new trans. Personally I'd use the new transmissions TC if you have no clue what transpires in your old trans.

So you'll want to verify the new TC is seated.

Flexplate and TC should never touch once engine and trans are bolted together. With that in mind you can measure distances and check before you install if the TC is fully seated.

I know both boots ripped.. before it failed.. it would make this speed depended sound when costing off throttle but never on throttle.. or if you went up a hill off throttle it never sounded.. it was like a light tapping sound..

If a CV (inner I suspect) failed how would the CV axle feel?

Checked that too

Definitely sounds like it's around the rear half of the tranny with the metal sound

My understanding is a full empty 5 EAT takes around 10.5 qts? How much does the transmission weight dry? Is it 210 something? I can't seem to find much info at all about it..

Edited by 1-3-2-4