Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I finally killed it.. Now for a swap

Well, I knew my Forester EJ251 was dying a not so slow death. Backfiring was getting worse and worse, lots of fuel in the oil ect... Downshifted to a big kaboom sounding backfire. Bad enough it shook the car and blew the flex pipe cat pipe I had off. Right after that, it started missing consistently. I stuck the exhaust back together and limped it to the shop.. Pretty sure the backfire damaged a valve or a spark plug. Either way, it's just coming out. I've been waiting to justify the EJ205 swap and now it's time

Not that I need one, but for the heck of it I searched for EJ22 engines online. Several offers were actually a 2.0L. Don't know if they could be installed in place of yours, from what I saw so far looked like only 1999 models. I wonder if they'd be compliant in the U.S.? I believe the 2.0 was/is standard equipment in some foreign markets.

Yea a jdm ej201 2.0l sohc is a direct swap and ej202 and 203 can also work.. I have a jdm ej205 turbo with trans to go in thought. Little more work and cost but, still will be cheaper than buying a forester xt or wrx that's not beat

• Like 1