Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 BRAT Build Thread with Questions

When it does catch it just kinda sputters and dies out. It'll only catch on the first try after i've had the fuel pump going for a bit. I also have my fuel pump jumped straight to 12v power because I can't seem to get it to operate through the relay correctly (my fault, not the relay). I have a pump from a turbo gl. Just to confirm, in the image below the top of the pump (smaller spigot coming out at 90deg) goes to the engine and the bottom would come from the tank right? Also i have the pressurized fuel from the pump going into the top fuel inlet barb on the engine (above photo shows it going through the stock ej filter and into the engine). Is that all correct?

69578.jpg

I do need to get my universal radiator fans hooked up. The fans I got just have 2 wires but my original wire harness has 3 wires where it used to plug into the radiator fans. Anyone have newer 2 wire universal fans wired to their stock ea81 harness and care to share how they wires it up?

thanks

I do need to get my universal radiator fans hooked up. The fans I got just have 2 wires but my original wire harness has 3 wires where it used to plug into the radiator fans. Anyone have newer 2 wire universal fans wired to their stock ea81 harness and care to share how they wires it up?

thanks

You need to wire up a fan harness from scratch with a relay if you didn't keep the ej setup. The ecu controlled fan control is far more reliable than the thermo switch. I wired the fan control wire off the ecu to a toggle switch (just in case of high water or snow) then to the relay. 

You need to wire up a fan harness from scratch with a relay if you didn't keep the ej setup. The ecu controlled fan control is far more reliable than the thermo switch. I wired the fan control wire off the ecu to a toggle switch (just in case of high water or snow) then to the relay. 

Yeah, that's what I've slowly come to realize. I still have all the wiring bits I didn't use in a bag. I know the relay and wires for the fan relay are in there somewhere. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my brakes bled and took the BRAT for a drive around the neighborhood this Sunday. The new engine/transmission/lift combo is awesome! I've still gotta get all my gauges and a bunch of small things buttoned up but this car is super fun to drive.

• 2 years later...

I was considering selling my project, I still am for the right price. I was driving around the other day and its inspired me to keep my dream alive and continue working on it. I just ordered what I hope are all the things I might need to get it on the road:

-disc caliper rebuild kits

-power steering pump rebuild kit and tie rods/ball joints

-new O2 sensor

Hopefully that'll address the brake pulling and steering shimmy issues. I'll also take it around the corner to have an alignment/balance done once I get steering stuff installed. I'm pretty busy trying to finish up a remodel in the basement of my house right now... hopefully I can get my permits completed soon and then dig into the BRAT. I also bought a 1958 Triumph motorcycle... so too many projects but driving this car around is toooo fun.

• Like 1

Why have I never seen this thread?

What a tidy tailshaft centre bearing support !

I like the spacer :) idea

You need to finish this in your way, your style

Inspiring me to try similar. I have been too slow fitting up an AUDM EJ20 and it's AWD 5MT and keep bumping into issues

I cut 60 mm from shift rods

Recently made a dummy one piece tailshaft from 99 Imp donor using 50 mm plastic drainage pipe heated up and expanded to fit ends - to determine correct length should engineers not approve planned centre bearing support for the 07 Imp auto tailshaft which is bit shy of the snug fit I found the 99 Imp had.

A friend is looking at EJ22 Liberty to dismantle to learn. I have my eye on his rubbish pile :)