Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the passenger side cv axle has popped out ou the trans. ok, replace the axle. right? Nope. new axle popped out as soon as i put it in gear. I decided to replace the circlip which holds it in. finished job again and pow. out it came again. I am not a mechanic. I do however kinda know what I am doing. or so I thought. i replaced the driverside last year and all is well. I tried to check and recheck to make sure it was seated in the groove. It did seat but would still pull out with a good tug. Any ideas subaru folks? Ever even heard of this happening? Thanks

car was my sisters for 180k miles. I have put the last 45k on it. i have not measured the length. it matched up to the one i removed. the one i removed had also dislodged from trans. I am leaving town for the weekend and will properly inspect the trans mounts. no lift on car. its stock from beat up front to back. 97 impreza outback sport w 2.2L and auto trans. I did break 100mph about 400 miles ago. i was being an idiot but she had more to give. have not noticed any slippage or vibration. It came to me for free. It owes me nothing. I love that thing especially in the occasional NC snow. She will go the junk yard if it is the trans. The trans fluid did not smell burnt. visual inspection of male(axle) and female(trans) show no signs of any problem. Thanks for your thoughts. If this provides any other ideas as to the cause I would love to hear them. It is my "winter" car so I have months before I would be driving it more than a couple times a month. That is unless my Toyota minivan breaks down. 

i'm stumped - perhaps the front end damage has bent the frame?

seems 'unlikely' to be a trans problem - suspension or axle issue most likely

tie rods seem OK? no odd 'pulling' when driving or accelerating?

maybe someone can suggest a soob-experienced mechanic near your city.

On 97 you don't remove the inner stub from the trans. There's a roll pin in the cup that you knock out and the cup slides off the stub. Stub stays in the trans.

If the new axle has a built in spline on the trans end it's the wrong axle.

• Like 1

actually yes, it pulls to the right when accelerating. I'm off to work but will check back this afternoon.  I worked for the best sub mechanic in town. He is actually the highest rated mechanic in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. I dont think the frame is bent. My sister just cant park for S... and has bashed things in parking tots. It has never been in an accident over 20mph. The engine runs so well I hate to give up on her especially when most things I can fix for the cost of parts.

Thank You Texan

On 97 you don't remove the inner stub from the trans. There's a roll pin in the cup that you knock out and the cup slides off the stub. Stub stays in the trans.

If the new axle has a built in spline on the trans end it's the wrong axle.

this. i had to knock that pin out and put it back in on both my 95 and my 98 when i was doing a trans swap.

Thank you again Texan! I will let you know what I find. That sounds very promising. 

Thank you also EAT, Live, Breath: I knew you didn't have to remove the inner stub. If It had not been dislodged I may not have pulled stub. I don't have a lift so I likely would have pulled it rather than crawling under the car with a hammer and a punch.  It was not a choice. The ring on the end of stub is the only thing tasked with keeping it in trans. It looked fine but when it popped out the second time I decided to replace it. only a $2 part. I should have know $2 was not going to fix it. 

The above youtube link is for a 97 Legacy.

You didn't mention having to remove the pin sooooo...

Is it possible the axle is not the correct one for your car as Fairtax and others above have mentioned?

Does the other side look just like the one that is pulling out of the tranny as far as pins re concerned?

Thanks for the continued thoughts. I compared the new axle to the one I removed and they were the same in all aspects as far as I could tell placing them side by side.  The old axle dislodged to initiate my repair.The old axle was on there at least 5 years. I, therefore, have dismissed the possibility that the axle is the problem. 

Thank You Master

Swap the stubby shafts (install each one on opposite side) and see if anything changes?

If it happens the moment it's out in gear Id want to watch or video tape it when it happens.

It seems to me he is aware that nominally the stub stays in the trans and the axle slides onto it and is held in Place with a pin.

He is saying the stud pulls out. He's. It saying he is pulling it out.

Why don't you look in the trans and see what the condition of the snap ring groove and splines look like? If it's coming out then one of three things is occuring:

A: Axle is being pulled out by excessive axial forces pulling on the axle shaft. In your case, probably not. I have not seen this happen on a non lifted car and I think the suspension would have to be so jacked from a collision that it wouldn't drive. I've seen the wheels stuffed into the fender and not pull the axle out. 

B: Circlip on the stub is bad. Manifestly not if it's been replaced. Sometimes spreading them open helps though.

C: Groove in front diff pinion gear that holds the clip is damaged, allowing it to walk out. I have seen something along these lines. 

GD

Thanks again. I think that this fits the standard for my motto. Thiss is when I am at my most dangerous.  I have joked for years that I have all the tools to take my cars apart. I just don'y know how to put them back together. YouTubehas a video i will watch again.   I will post updates as I have any news. 

I want to thank all of you for the help diagnosing the problem. My brother the retired engineer (at 53) offered to trade me a good running well maintained MG convertible complete with a hard top. I doubt this will be popular will subaru fanatics but I have to take it. after my brother fixes it he will get bored and give it back to me I bet. He has a couple subs, a couple Mercedes, a vw, and a toyota. You have been great. This will not be my last Subaru. They are the best awd cars by far. I may even have to buy a nice new one. lol