Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to Convert family member to the Joy of Subaru Ownership.

My son just threw a rod on his toyota and I would like to convince him to get a subaru.  I found what I thought was a great car in Georgia (1999 Outback wagon with 116,000) for $1800.  Unfortunately, it was mislisted as having an automatic transmission which it didn't.  I found another 1999 Legacy in New York that is a Legacy L model with 38,000 miles.  Because of the low mileage, the owner is asking premium dollar ,$3800 to be exact.  Is this a good price?  Second question is does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to have a car transported from New York to Colorado?  When I bought my 1998 Subaru Outback from a dealer in South Carolina, it cost me $800 to have it shipped out.  Price of shipping an already high priced car is what is giving me quandaries .

Living in Colorado, I have a lot of used Subarus to pick from for a replacement car.  Unfortunately, they are all higher priced and have over 200,000 miles on the odometer.  My search criteria for a car was around a 1999 Subaru wagon with a 2.2 motor and an automatic transmission.  I would appreciate the thoughts and knowledge of the members of this board on this.

Couple suggestions:

1. New York has rust issues.  Clearly this one was in some kind of odd situation due to the mileage so it may have avoided some, but I'd want very good pictures of all the exhaust, brakes, and suspension.  I don't know how familiar you are with salt and rust - but you don't want rust or the beginnings of it.

2.  Low mileage.  I wouldn't pay premium prices for a super low mileage Subaru unless it's a specialty car that's hard to fine, but just for an average late 90's Subaru I wouldn't pay premium for it without a very compelling reason besides just mileage/condition.  Like impeccable maintenance records, being sold by the original owner who's very forthcoming and honest about why it's got low mileages and the timing belt kit is completely replaced.  The couple of low mileage Subaru's I have had seem to have weird non-typical issues, like wipers, speedo, door guts, leaks, etc...I think lack of use doesn't help things.  They're all minor and not a big deal - but I'm just saying I wouldn't without a compelling reason.  

3.  Get a 1998 or earlier 2.2.  99 2.2's are Phase II and have identical heads/valves of the 2.5 and similar headgasket and rod issues - it is not the robust pinnacle of Subaru reliability of the 1990-1998 2.2 liter engines.  Not a huge deal or deal breaker - there's just no compelling reason to sacrifice the much better track record of the 1998 and earlier 2.2 engines. 

*** The 1999+ 2.2's are known for external headgasket leaks - make sure you get detailed pictures of the head to engine mating surface and verify it's spotless.  (Hopefully they don't clean it before hand knowing you're looking for it)

4.  I would look out west - I've gotten Subaru's from Texas and California - rust free, excellent deals that aren't subject to the price surge of Colorado and the PNW.   With shipping I ended up paying the same or less than what I'd pay to get one around here - priced right, reasonably versed Subaru owners so I knew they were drivable/reliable and ***absolutely no rust***.   You seriously don't want rust. 

5.  Yes $800 shipping, I'd budget $800 but depending on details it could easily come in less.  I had one shipped across the country from CA to here for $760 or something like that for terminal to terminal (no upcharges from them bringing to or delivering from the terminal which is usually an extra $100-ish very roughly.  I don't know if this is the norm but when I've checked with DAS in the past prices vary, I get a quote of $740 one week and then $820 the next. 

Thanks, I'll take your advise and request full pictures of the items that you mentioned.  Based on what you have to say, a lot of negotiation may have to take place before I pick this car. I'm going to hit the internet to see what else is available in the year spread that you suggested.