Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently purchased my 7th subaru and i am encountering something I've never dealt with, my sunroof leaks. It's 2017 outback. It has already been looked at 4 times by 2 different dealers. The sunroof has even been replaced by one of dealers and the constant drip returned and stayed after the it was opened (retracted back). Now I'm being told that the leak is acceptable and that's why there is a drain. No matter if it's misting out or I drive by a sprinkler, if water gets on my roof---gasket gets saturated,  it drips into my car--you can watch the drips flow into my car. also keep in mind the leak was reported on day 10 of owning, the dealerships have had it in their possession for 28days over the past 7weeks---over 1/3 of the mileage on this car from taking it to be maintained.  Has anyone else ever experienced this? Help I love my subaru's but I'm so over this already           

Wow. That's odd. Sorry to hear that. Send me a private message.

Where *exactly* is it leaking?

How do you know it's not the windshield?

***can you apply water to a specific drain or corner and isolate the leak?

Good news is sunroofs are really simple:

1. The sunroof is compromised in some way.

2. The drains aren't properly fixed to the sunroof

3. The drain lines are clogged or damaged

The entire sunroof assembly was replaced?

If sunroof was replaced - we can assume that rules out number 1.

Need to trace the leak to its source. Noting where it's leaking should tell us which corner and drain is leaking.

Check end connections of drains where they attach to sunroof.

Blow out drain hoses with compressed air.

Check drain lines for leaks (not sure how to check that but maybe plug end and add water.) after verifying end connections aren't leaking where they attach to sunroof.

Call SOA and get them involved. I can't imagine they'd

The sunroof is leaking directly in the back center at the gasket. The entire sunroof assembly was replaced. The leak returned once I opened the sunroof (glass retracted back). Now the leak is just like it was before the sunroof was replaced. I questioned if there could be something with the track that is causing the leak and that is when I was told that some sunroofs leak and my current leak is acceptable due to having draines built in to drain the water out of the car.

Unacceptable.

NO amount of water intrusion into the cabin is justifiable. This should be remedied by SOA. Speak loudly and clearly until someone listens. Demand a loaner until this fix this to you satisfaction.

If it cannot be fixed or you encounter resistance start litigation.

1. Visit another dealer

2. Call SOA

that's your order of operations here. 

This is so weird - It's actually hard to believe they would call an internal cabin leak normal, that's so nutty it's hard to believe.

You don't have any antenna's or device running through the sunroof do you - i've seen those leak before?

• 4 months later...

Gentlemen,

This is absolutely unacceptable ... and it is NOT normal, whatever those dealership service department heads are telling you! I've owned four different OBW's since 98, and not one of them has ever had sunroof leak. Not leaking is normal. You need to keep the pressure on them, firm but friendly, and if its not resolved to your satisfaction, turn to your state's lemon law.

Over the generations there was a problem with water being wicked into the overhead map lights (2nd generation). The problem then was a poor sealant job on the steel roof opening for the sunroof. Water would wick into cracks in the paint as the sealant aged and shrunk, and then found its way into the overhead map lights, to drip onto the driver/passenger legs on turns. The factory put out a TSB for that one way back in 2002 ?

• Like 1

ALL SUNROOFS LEAK. It's just how they work, and that IS why there's a DRAIN under the panel.

There is no way to make a perfect seal around a sunroof unless you glue it shut.

If it's leaking out of the drain channel and getting into the headliner, or onto the sliding cover, then it's an issue. Otherwise, it's working as it should.

Don't understand the concept in all sunroofs leak, would you pay $35,000 for a car that the sunroof leaked I had beads of water all along the back of the sunroof drip pan or not there still should not be any water. My husband drives a 1999 Honda passport with a sunroof that has NOT leaked 1 time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a 2016 Outback which replaced an 02 Forester, and I just got same problem, water under dash and on seat.  Dealer said drains clogged.  I did not have time to leave car for the time they needed it (I had specific appointment but they were badly behind schedule at local dealer, not thrilled with them either!)  so going to have to go back and leave for day or more, get loaner etc. at some point later this month.  Headliner got stained and I think they should replace at their cost.  Huge nuisance and great disappointment in what was not a cheap car!    Anyone have any fixes for this so it does not keep happening??  Do I have to keep climbing up and cleaning out drains??  This is not limited to Subarus, unfortunately, I am thinking of trading it anyway because it is uncomfortable and has poor visibility for me, and I tested Volvos and Explorers, and internet searches tell me their sunroofs have the same problems!    Lesson seems to be, do not buy a car with a sunroof!

Don't understand the concept in all sunroofs leak, would you pay $35,000 for a car that the sunroof leaked I had beads of water all along the back of the sunroof drip pan or not there still should not be any water. My husband drives a 1999 Honda passport with a sunroof that has NOT leaked 1 time.

He means the seal where the cglass meets the roof.  That seal is not water tight on ANY CAR.  there will be water that seeps past that as its just a sitting against the metal edge, no real "seal" to speak of.

This is how ALL sunroofs are.  There is an acceptable, small amount of water that will leak past the glass.  But that water should not come into the car.  There is a drip rail around the whole frame, and at it's corners there are drain tubes that run down the pillars.

I have seen at least 5 leaky 2000-2004 Outbacks, that were fixed by simply putting clamps around where the vinyl hose drain hose attaches to the sunroof tray.  that's it.  hose got old and brittle, and didn't hold tight to barb it was attached too.

Whatever is going on with these cars, it's a drain issue, not a "leak" issue.  the interior drip is happening because water in the tray is not draining properly.

****Oh and the Honda? garauntee there is a drip tray and drains.  If you took them out or plugged them you would have water getting in the car.  It's how these things are built.